The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 1:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phase Frequency Detector - PFD - Reset length (Read 2985 times)
lokeshthimmapuram

Phase Frequency Detector - PFD - Reset length
Jul 21st, 2015, 5:31am

Dear All,
In case of Phase Frequency Detector (PFD), the upper limit for reset pulse width is Tref/2 ( Tref - Time period of the reference input). This is given in "frequency limitations of a conventional phase frequency detector - Mehmet soyuer and Robert G Meyer".
I didn't understand why wrong output gets activated when the phase difference is between T-dR and T. Where T is the time period of reference and dR is the reset pulse width.

Can someone please clarify me on this..?

Thanks,
Lokesh.

View Profile   IP Logged
lokeshthimmapuram

Re: Phase Frequency Detector - PFD - Reset length
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2015, 4:33am

After digging deep, I understood the reason.

Now, I have another question related to PFD. The question is "What are the parameters of PLL influenced by PFD ? ".

ex:-
1. Dead zone (decides lower reset length).
2. Increases static phase offset and hence the vco jitter (higher reset length).
3. PLL cannot lock if the reset length is more than half of reference period.

Are there other aspects that needs to be taken care during the design of PFD...?

Thanks,
Lokesh.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2015, 10:23am

Traditional rules of behavior on an open forum are such that if you find an answer to your own question, you should post that answer for the benefit of anybody else that runs up against that same question.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
lokeshthimmapuram

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2015, 9:30pm

My apologies.

In the ideal working case of PFD, reset length is assumed zero. So, if Reference frequency (Fref) is leading the Feedback frequency (Ffb), only U (up pulse is seen) and the D (down pulse remains low). When Fref is lagging Ffb, only D is seen and U remains low. For this case, the S-curve of PFD ( the curve which represents the input phase difference Vs the time averaged differential output [U-D]ave ) is linear between -2Π and +2Π ( as shown in the attaced file). i.e., the range of input phase difference for which the PFD operates correctly is +/- 2Π.

By correct operation, I mean there will not be any missing edges during the comparison.

Now, lets take the case with some reset length ΔR < T ( T = Tref = Tfb ). The maximum input phase differnce for correct PFD operation without missing edges becomes 2Π-ΔR. The other way of seeing this is - if the input phase difference falls between 0 and T-ΔR, PFD operates correctly. But, if the input phase difference falls between T-ΔR and T, alternate edges gets missed. That is, wrong outputs are seen at the PFD output [ This was my Question ]. So, for the PFD to operate correctly, the input phase difference should always be < T-ΔR.

Please let me know if something is not clear (or) correct me if I'm missing something.

Capture_009.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.