The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 7:10am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Current mirrors (Number of fingers, current through each finger does it matter?) (Read 195 times)
curious

Current mirrors (Number of fingers, current through each finger does it matter?)
Aug 06th, 2015, 12:29pm

Hi all,

If I have designed current mirrors with same ratio but the current that I am mirroring is small that it pushes the transistor close to subthreshold region.

Question is I draw the two mirroring transistors with multiple fingers, each finger will have a very less current, how will it affect?. For example let's say mirror current is 1000nA and there are 10 fingers, each finger will have 100nA. Does this affect the mirroring action?

I know that they are biased closed to the threshold voltage of transistor, the Vth-mismatch will affect it alot, apart from this is there any concern having a transistor operating at 100nA.

Regards
ch

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Current mirrors (Number of fingers, current through each finger does it matter?)
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2015, 11:20am

Check to see if the semiconductor simulation model was done using currents down to that level. Many models do not test and model at low currents.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rfmagic
Community Member

Re: Current mirrors (Number of fingers, current through each finger does it matter?)
Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2015, 12:41pm

It really depends on the process you are working on. In many CMOS process nodes the leakage current is of the same order as you mention in your question when the channel length is approaching the minimum. In that case you have to make sure that the device size is chosen very carefully.

View Profile   IP Logged
Tako
Community Member

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2015, 3:27am

loose-electron wrote on Aug 9th, 2015, 11:20am:
Check to see if the semiconductor simulation model was done using currents down to that level. Many models do not test and model at low currents.

What are low currents values exactly? Is it <0.5 uA or < 1 uA or <10 uA ?

If I remember correctly, I met with a lot of IEEE articles where a current through single transistor is ~2.5 uA or 5 uA.

@curious
Wouldn't it be better to use just one finger with 1 uA current flowing through it?

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2015, 7:35am

curious wrote on Aug 6th, 2015, 12:29pm:
Hi all,

If I have designed current mirrors with same ratio but the current that I am mirroring is small that it pushes the transistor close to subthreshold region.

Question is I draw the two mirroring transistors with multiple fingers, each finger will have a very less current, how will it affect?. For example let's say mirror current is 1000nA and there are 10 fingers, each finger will have 100nA. Does this affect the mirroring action?

Not really at those current levels - you have half the current but also half the width so it is basically a wash. At higher current levels the gate and source/drain resistances can be an issue.

Quote:
I know that they are biased closed to the threshold voltage of transistor, the Vth-mismatch will affect it alot, apart from this is there any concern having a transistor operating at 100nA.

As Tako said, you have to consider leakage. Make the widths as small as possible.

If it is a static mirror then you should be able to take it out of subthreshold by making the device longer. 100nA isn't that low of a current for a properly sized device.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2015, 12:56am

Tako wrote on Aug 13th, 2015, 3:27am:

If I remember correctly, I met with a lot of IEEE articles where a current through single transistor is ~2.5 uA or 5 uA.

@curious
Wouldn't it be better to use just one finger with 1 uA current flowing through it?

If you want to run at a particular current range, make sure that the model was developed with data in that current range.

Jerry Twomey
Tako
Community Member

Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2015, 8:00am

loose-electron wrote on Aug 18th, 2015, 12:56am:

@curious

If you want to run at a particular current range, make sure that the model was developed with data in that current range.

I see. I was curious, because I have never come across a minimum current remark in foundry documents. So, we should always ask foundry what current range the model support?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2015, 11:02pm

Tako wrote on Aug 21st, 2015, 8:00am:
loose-electron wrote on Aug 18th, 2015, 12:56am:

@curious

I see. I was curious, because I have never come across a minimum current remark in foundry documents. So, we should always ask foundry what current range the model support?

Yes!  I have seen people run models where the transistor empirical data was done with much larger currents.

Here read this:

http://chipdesignmag.com/display.php?articleId=438

Wrote that back in 2006 for Chip Design

Jerry Twomey
Tako
Community Member

Reply #8 - Aug 22nd, 2015, 11:20am

I remember that a foundry shares its empirical data in one of its document for a chosen technology. I'll check currents there on Monday.

Very interesting article! Thank You Jerry aka loose-electron! Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Tako
Community Member

Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2015, 1:26am

I checked a foundry document. There are verification plots where model is compared to a measured data. I think this is what I was looking for, because a foundry rather does not give current range directly in for example a table, writing:
minimum supported current by a model: xxx nA
maximum supported current by a model: yyy mA
?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #10 - Aug 27th, 2015, 11:55pm

Tako wrote on Aug 24th, 2015, 1:26am:
I checked a foundry document. There are verification plots where model is compared to a measured data. I think this is what I was looking for, because a foundry rather does not give current range directly in for example a table, writing:
minimum supported current by a model: xxx nA
maximum supported current by a model: yyy mA
?

That sounds correct. If the information is uncear contact the foundry and ask them to answer your questions.

Jerry Twomey
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.