The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 12:56pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cadence ADE transient analysis/behavioral model " design variable" fre (Read 2695 times)
JayOcad

Cadence ADE transient analysis/behavioral model " design variable" fre
Nov 7th, 2015, 4:32pm

Hey guys, I was wondering where a design variable "frequency" (which I did not declare or set as the name of any parameter) gets generated in transient analysis in Cadence ADE (spectre) when I do a transient simulation of a set of devices using only behavioral VerilogA models from scratch and a Ipulse/current pulse (there is a "period" parameter for the pulse that appears in the table needing a value, which I  set, but in addition a "frequency" parameter appears and since the input pulse frequency is defined by the period, I didn't think this "frequency" parameter is coming from the input pulse object).

All the items in the simulation are behavioral models, and there is no "frequency" variable/paramter explicitly defined anywhere. The models pass a potential nature from a discipline, call it "P", which is the only discipline/nature in this simulation space. There is Ipulse/current pulse(from Cadence library) where the "period" is also a design variable/parameter which is set in the variable table that pops up when the trans analysis is run. Nowhere in the code did I put a "frequency" variable, the only code that is not mine is the Ipulse/current pulse, and the period is set.  What is this frequency, and where is it implicitly generated? Thanks for your help.

EDIT:
I see that "
If you use Cadence Spectre, you can not use 'frequency' variable even in small signal analyses such as ac, xf, sp and noise."  But when I am doing the transient analysis, my issue here is I DO get a "frequency" design variable- when I run the transient analysis, a group of design variables shows up in the simulator window *needing* to be defined with values, I know what each one of these variables are because I created them in the model, or named them in the parameter settings for the device  "frequency" is one of these variables that pops up in the table, needing me to set it to a value.  

But nowhere do I see a "frequency" variable defined in the behavioral models and I never named "frequency" as a parameter value name in any of the device blocks to be varied. I'm wondering where this variable is being created, and if frequency isn't a variable you can sweep, why does a "frequency" variable appear automatically and what is it/how is it passed along?

« Last Edit: Nov 07th, 2015, 11:34pm by JayOcad »  
View Profile   IP Logged
JayOcad

Re: Cadence ADE transient analysis/behavioral model " design variable" fre
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2015, 7:26pm

Update: ignore my post, question is not valid- frequency was manually inputted as design variable in test bench.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.