The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:22pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Netlisting failed with multiple Verilog-A blocks (Read 4244 times)
yong_rfic

Netlisting failed with multiple Verilog-A blocks
Jan 12th, 2016, 6:49am

Hello,

I have encountered netlist errors when trying to simulate circuit which has two simple Verilog-A blocks. Each individual block can be nestlisted successfully. However when I put them in the same schematic, there are errors. The error messages are:

"ERROR (OSSHNL-524): Netlisting failed as function hnlNetNameOnTerm was called with a non-existent terminal name on current instance 'I1' in design 'RF14/cal_logic_decod/schematic'. Ensure that argument to this function is a valid terminal name and netlist again.\n\n"
and many more of the same thing...

The two verilog-a blocks are defined like

module A(B_in, T_out);

input [4:0] B_in ;
electrical [4:0] B_in ;
output [15:0] T_out ;
electrical [15:0] T_out ;

endmodule

module B(clk, vin, vout);

input vin, clk;
output [4:0] vout;
electrical vin, clk;
electrical [4:0] vout;

endmodule

Please advise, thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Netlisting failed with multiple Verilog-A blocks
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2016, 5:14am

I suspect there is something subtle in your set-up that's causing trouble, and it may be something related to the actual definitions of your blocks.  (I think your modules aren't actually "module A" and "module B")

I assume each block has a symbol view and a verilog-a view.

I would try replacing one of the blocks with a simple verilog-a module, maybe something as simple as a resistor or a voltage source.  Or try it with a voltage source and a resistor as your two verilog-a blocks, and make sure you can netlist a schematic with those two simple blocks.  Then work up from there.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
yong_rfic

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2016, 7:14am

Thank you for the useful advice. I ended up combining the two modules into a single one. Problem solved at least for now.

View Profile   IP Logged
andrew terry

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2018, 2:50pm

I had the same error. To fix I instantiate the second block fresh with create instance (i). Do not copy from the first instance.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.