The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 3:37pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question on phase noise  Sphi and normalized noise power L (Read 2335 times)
seekconfessor

Question on phase noise  Sphi and normalized noise power L
Feb 16th, 2016, 5:47am

Referring to the paper "Predicting the Phase Noise and Jitter of PLL-Based Frequency Synthesizers", the normalized single-sideband noise power L and the phase noise Sphi has the relationship: L=Sphi/2. But I have some confusion on  these two parameters.
Question 1: when we are talking about a VCO's phase noise , i.e. -95dBc/Hz@100kHz off, this value means L or Sphi?
Question 2: The spectre's Pnoise simulation of a VCO circuit can get a phase noise result, this result means L or Sphi?
best regards.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Question on phase noise  Sphi and normalized noise power L
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2016, 1:40pm

The answer is in the units. L is a normalized noise. The units you give are dBc, which is the noise power normalized to the carrier power. If the units in dBc it's L.

The phase noise function in ADE is misnamed. It is really the normalized noise. It makes no effort to extract the phase noise. It it the total SSB noise power relative to the carrier power. However, if you apply it to the output of an oscillator at a frequency where the phase noise dominates, you get what you want.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
seekconfessor

Re: Question on phase noise  Sphi and normalized noise power L
Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2016, 7:27am

I've got the points, Thanks for your reply.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.