The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 1st, 2024, 7:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TSMC 65nm General Purpose ( CRN65GP) and Low power ( CRN65LP) vdd question. (Read 3446 times)
tenso

USA
TSMC 65nm General Purpose ( CRN65GP) and Low power ( CRN65LP) vdd question.
Jul 19th, 2016, 11:04pm

TSMC's 65nm process comes in two flavors for mixed signal and RF design, general purpose and low power. On CMC's website it says that the low power has vdd of 1.2V/2.5V

https://www.cmc.ca/WhatWeOffer/Products/CMC-00131-53461.aspx

and the general purpose has a vdd of 1V/2.5V.

https://www.cmc.ca/en/WhatWeOffer/Products/CMC-00200-01409.aspx

so my questions are (and they might be stupid ones)

- Why is the vdd higher for the low power version ( 1.2 V) versus the general purpose version ( 1 V)?
- What is the difference between the core voltage and the I/O voltage ( which is 2.5V for both)? Are we talking about the supply voltages for the transistors connected to the bond pads?

« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2016, 8:34am by tenso »  
View Profile   IP Logged
vroy_92

Leuven, Belgium
Re: TSMC 65nm General Purpose ( CRN65GP) and Low power ( CRN65LP) vdd question.
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2016, 1:56am

I am not able to access the link you have provided.
Core voltage is a lower voltage on which mostly your digital stuff runs on and some analog parts (although the trend is to use as much as lower voltage as possible in the analog domain as well). But there are limitations on how much you can go to a lower voltage to make something functional.
For higher supply voltage, the Vth of the MOS will be higher as well (thicker oxide is used). This higher voltage MOSes are almost exclusively used in analog domain.

Regards,
V Roy
View Profile   IP Logged
tenso

USA
Re: TSMC 65nm General Purpose ( CRN65GP) and Low power ( CRN65LP) vdd question.
Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2016, 8:40am

vroy_92 wrote on Jul 20th, 2016, 1:56am:
I am not able to access the link you have provided.
Core voltage is a lower voltage on which mostly your digital stuff runs on and some analog parts (although the trend is to use as much as lower voltage as possible in the analog domain as well). But there are limitations on how much you can go to a lower voltage to make something functional.
For higher supply voltage, the Vth of the MOS will be higher as well (thicker oxide is used). This higher voltage MOSes are almost exclusively used in analog domain.

I have fixed the links. Thanks for the answer regarding core voltages. Why is Vdd lower for the general purpose version (1V) than the low power version (1.2V)?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.