The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:38pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Meaning of PAC (Read 2994 times)
designer_dude

Meaning of PAC
Aug 02nd, 2016, 10:56am

Hi all,

I am running PAC, in the default mode for a Time Variant Periodic system.  When I plot the output of PAC for particular nodes, I get a set of function labelled by the pss harmonic  (call it n).  Those functions are plotted from range$ n*f_{PSS} to n*f_{PSS} + f_{sweep}$  where $ f_{sweep}$ is the sweep range.  How are those curves related to the transfer function $H_n(f)$ that completely characterize an LTV periodic system in the derivation attached?  If they are not related, what is the mathematical definition of the pac output curves?

Thanks!

Capture_010.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Meaning of PAC
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2016, 4:48pm

They are the transfer functions. In other words for the nth sideband, the result computed by PAC is the output voltage at n×fPSS + fin where fin is the analysis frequency. If the input source has pacmag=1, then the result is the transfer function from the input source at fin to the output at n×fPSS + fin.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
designer_dude

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2016, 4:54pm

Thanks Kent for the reply.

Why is then the "support" of the transfer function (also called range) plotted only from n*f_pss and not 0 frequency for the transfer function labelled with n?

When I plot G_n(f), which I define to be the gain from f_pacsource to f_pacsource + n * f_pss, I expect the "support" or the frequency range to be from 1k->10G or whatever I defined in the sweep.  

Like G_5(1kHz) for f_pss = 1MHz would be the gain from 1kHz pac modulation to output of 5.001MHz.  This should be defined for 1kHz -> infty ideally.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2016, 6:54pm

That is under the control of the freqaxis parameter.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.