The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
finding voltage peaks and size varying array (Read 82 times)
jjnkxb

finding voltage peaks and size varying array
Sep 07th, 2017, 6:43am

I am implementing a history dependent model in verilog a. I had some problems which I hope you could provide help.

I need to locate the input voltage peaks and store them in an array. Since the input voltage waveform is arbitrary, the array size is also varying. Is there any way to implement such array?

In addition, to find the peak, I am considering to use d/dt function. When the time derivative changes sign, the peak is found. But right at the peak (for a linear voltage waveform), the time derivative is not defined. I am not clear how that is handled in circuit simulation. Or do you have any other idea to find the peak?

Would you please provide me some insight?

Thanks.
Kai

Picture2_001.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: finding voltage peaks and size varying array
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2017, 8:34am

Quote:
I need to locate the input voltage peaks and store them in an array. Since the input voltage waveform is arbitrary, the array size is also varying. Is there any way to implement such array?

No, not that I know of, not within Verilog-A. You could write the peaks to a file.

Quote:
In addition, to find the peak, I am considering to use d/dt function. When the time derivative changes sign, the peak is found. But right at the peak (for a linear voltage waveform), the time derivative is not defined. I am not clear how that is handled in circuit simulation. Or do you have any other idea to find the peak?

Try it and see.

If you don't like the result, consider simply saving two points back and determine the peaks that way.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
jjnkxb

Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2017, 8:51am

Thanks Ken. About your last sentence, I am not sure how I can save the previous voltage value. To my knowledge, the voltage is instantaneous. Would you please elaborate on that?

Best,
Kai

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2017, 11:09pm

Code:
real vprev, vprev2;
analog begin
    if ((vprev2 < vprev) && (vprev > V(in)) begin
	   # vprev is peak
    end
    vprev2 = vprev;
    vprev = V(in);
end

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
jjnkxb

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2017, 1:14pm

Ken, Thanks a lot. I will try this method and see how it works.

Best,
Kai

View Profile   IP Logged
jjnkxb

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2017, 8:58am

Ken, I tried to use the d/dt approach and also save the previous voltage and compare. Both approaches worked fine. Thank you very much for your help.

Best,
Kai

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.