The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 6:47am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
can irun be used to generate a netlist (Read 155 times)
RFenthusiast

can irun be used to generate a netlist
Sep 14th, 2017, 1:57pm

Hi,
Is there a way irun can be used to generate a netlist by providing an argument in the irunArgs file? I know 'runams' can do this, I was wondering if irun at command line can be used to generate it as well.

If yes, can the config view be manipulated at command line to change the different block configurations to generate new netlists?

Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: can irun be used to generate a netlist
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2017, 2:03pm

No, irun can't be used to do this. I'm not sure why you'd want to; irun doesn't know anything about virtuoso schematics and it's not a netlister. runams is for this.

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RFenthusiast

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2017, 2:44pm

Thanks Andrew!

I was just wondering if it could be done since irun handles everything else from compiling to simulating.

I have a question regarding the config view and runams then. If I want to edit a config view to change certain 'views' to use through command line, what file do I have to edit. I am unable to find this other than the '.amsbind.scs'. I don't want to have to bring up the hierarchy editor gui every time I want to change view and run a simulation.

Thank you!

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2017, 4:53am

The config view is not used directly when simulating with irun (it used to be with the older 3-step ncvlog/ncelab/ncsim flow), and instead it is translated into amsd block statements in the .amsbind.scs file and also what is netlisted/included in the simulation. Whether you can edit those files depends on what was netlisted - if the representation of the module you need (or any lower level blocks) were not netlisted, editing the binding won't help you.

Maybe you could edit the expand.cfg file inside a config view (by hand, or by script) and then use the runams command to netlist/simulate the design? Then it could be all done from the command line.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RFenthusiast

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2017, 4:12pm

I will try editing the expand.cfg file and see if that works. Thanks for the tip Andrew!
I appreciate the help.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.