The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 22nd, 2019, 3:08pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Minor glitches in nonlinear magnetics paper (Read 1985 times)
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Minor glitches in nonlinear magnetics paper
Sep 19th, 2017, 7:54am

Hi -
I'm reading through the paper on this site about modeling nonlinear magnetics: http://www.designers-guide.org/Modeling/mag.pdf
and I've noticed a few glitches.

In listing 2, for the winding, the electrical terminals are declared as ep, en, but then one of the lines in the module has
 V(ep,e2) <+ turns * (r*I(ep,en) - ddt(Phi(mp,mn)));
Obviously, that "e2" should be "en"

Then, comparing Figure 2 to Listing 4, the topology is the same, but the elements have been renamed: gaps G1 and G2 in the figure are named G2 and G4 in the Spectre netlist; windings W3 and W4 in the figure are named W3b and W3a (respectively) in the netlist.

Finally, where I'm stumped, is that Figure 5 purports to show results from simulating Listing 4. However, the plot shows a node voltage "n4" but there is no "n4" in the netlist, and while there is an "e4", it's not listed on the "save" line, so I woudn't expect to be able to plot it.

Has anyone reproduced the plot in figure 5?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Minor glitches in nonlinear magnetics paper
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2017, 8:50am

Also, all three Verilog-A models are missing port direction declarations:
Code:
inout p, n; 

for gap and core
Code:
inout ep, en, mp, mn; 

for winding

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2017, 1:39am

In Verilog-A the port directions are effectively just comments. The simulator itself ignores the directions you specify. Port directions only become significant in Verilog-AMS when it comes time to insert connect modules.

I think the netlist is not used to generate Figure 5. Instead, I think it is intended to produce something similar Figure 4. I infer that from the PWL source and the polynomial controlled source that are used to create a stimulus whose amplitude varies over time. But Figure 4 is just a cartoon, not real simulation results. I believe the netlist in the paper may not correspond to any of the results given in the paper.

-Ken

Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2017, 6:05am

Ken Kundert wrote on Sep 20th, 2017, 1:39am:
In Verilog-A the port directions are effectively just comments.

One commercial simulator I used (maybe the same one you're familiar with) complained about a module that had "electrical p,n;" before "inout p,n;"

WARNING (VACOMP-1146): "core.va", line 12: (Non-portable Syntax) [VENDOR] strongly recommends putting the direction specifier for
       port `p' before declaring its discipline.

It would be nice to be able to reproduce Figure 4. One might need to declare B and H as output variables (with the (* desc="" *) attribute), though some simulators will give access to all variables declared at module scope.

The plots in the ISCAS'95 to seem to correspond to the netlist in that paper; I even get a hysteresis curve when plotting B versus H.

Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2017, 6:14am

The loops aren't as nicely spaced as in Figure 4, but the general idea is there.

mag.jpg

Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2017, 6:25am

Wow! The simulator suggested using "method=trap" (it said it had detected trapezoidal ringing -- I would have expected it to tell me to us method=gear to avoid trapezoidal ringing, so I just ignored it at first). When I took the suggestion, the curves got a lot nicer!

mag2.jpg

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2019 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.