The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 1:36pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
why the oscillator phase noise flat out when it is far away from the center freq (Read 1799 times)
liletian
Community Member

MD
why the oscillator phase noise flat out when it is far away from the center freq
Mar 29th, 2018, 7:04pm

why the oscillator phase noise flat out when it is far away from the center frequency instead of 1/f^2?

Does anyone has a good explanation?

Thanks,

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: why the oscillator phase noise flat out when it is far away from the center freq
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2018, 10:46pm

Numerous discussions of this including at http://www.signalpro.biz/phasenoise.pdf - the second page shows a common shape of the phase noise. I assume you're talking about the flat bit to the right of the curve on that page? If so, this is due to the thermal noise floor (see explanations further on in that document). I'm sure there are better descriptions out there - this was from a quick google search.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
kumar.g
Community Member

Frankfurt, Germany
Re: why the oscillator phase noise flat out when it is far away from the center freq
Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2018, 5:12am

liletian wrote on Mar 29th, 2018, 7:04pm:
why the oscillator phase noise flat out when it is far away from the center frequency instead of 1/f^2?

Does anyone has a good explanation?

Thanks,

If you were to measure the VCO output directly you would only see a -20dBc/dec clope with no thermal noise floor. However in reality the output can only be measured after going through some buffers/IO circuittry and its thermal noise dominates at large frequency offsets.

View Profile kumar.g write2rammy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.