The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 8:07am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ring Oscillator Pre vs. Post Layout Frequency Shift (Read 1404 times)
melvin1109

Ring Oscillator Pre vs. Post Layout Frequency Shift
Nov 25th, 2019, 3:29pm

Hello All,

I am trying to layout a ring oscillator that oscillates at ~300MHz in pre layout simulations. The issue I am having is that in post layout simulations the oscillation frequency is ~100MHz.

This is my first layout, so I do not know any good layout practices for this frequency range.

I assume that propagation delay is being increased becasue various parasitic resistances/capacitances in the layout.

Can you guys suggest some things I can look at in my layout, in general, that I could tweak in order to reduce parasitics and bring my post layout frequency closer to my pre layout frequency?

Also, what are things are typically the biggest contributors to a shift in frequency when laying out oscillators?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
kumar.g
Community Member

Frankfurt, Germany
Re: Ring Oscillator Pre vs. Post Layout Frequency Shift
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2019, 4:59am

The layout parasitics can not increase the RC time constant by 300% unless it is done in a complete amateurish way. You can search it on the web and you will find general guidelines to do a proper layout.

View Profile kumar.g write2rammy   IP Logged
Maks
Community Member

San Jose
Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2019, 1:58pm

This shift is most likely caused by layout parasitics.

View Profile   IP Logged
Horror Vacui

Dresden, Germany
Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2020, 5:36pm

kumar.g wrote on Dec 3rd, 2019, 4:59am:
The layout parasitics can not increase the RC time constant by 300% unless it is done in a complete amateurish way. You can search it on the web and you will find general guidelines to do a proper layout.

I assume he is a desperate student, and this is his first IC design homework, where he used minimum sized devices and did not abutted the devices, used only the first two metals, etc. In that case I can imagine a big frequency shift, but 2/3 difference in frequency is really something spectacular.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.