The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Dec 6th, 2019, 12:25am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ring Oscillator Pre vs. Post Layout Frequency Shift (Read 50 times)
melvin1109

Ring Oscillator Pre vs. Post Layout Frequency Shift
Nov 25th, 2019, 3:29pm

Hello All,

I am trying to layout a ring oscillator that oscillates at ~300MHz in pre layout simulations. The issue I am having is that in post layout simulations the oscillation frequency is ~100MHz.

This is my first layout, so I do not know any good layout practices for this frequency range.

I assume that propagation delay is being increased becasue various parasitic resistances/capacitances in the layout.

Can you guys suggest some things I can look at in my layout, in general, that I could tweak in order to reduce parasitics and bring my post layout frequency closer to my pre layout frequency?

Also, what are things are typically the biggest contributors to a shift in frequency when laying out oscillators?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
kumar.g
Community Member

Frankfurt, Germany
Re: Ring Oscillator Pre vs. Post Layout Frequency Shift
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2019, 4:59am

The layout parasitics can not increase the RC time constant by 300% unless it is done in a complete amateurish way. You can search it on the web and you will find general guidelines to do a proper layout.

View Profile kumar.g write2rammy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2019 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.