The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:53am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
100 MHz oscillator on ~0.18um CMOS (Read 1622 times)
AnalogDE

100 MHz oscillator on ~0.18um CMOS
Apr 01st, 2020, 9:57pm

Can someone suggest a good architecture for a ~100MHz oscillator?
I need good PVT performance (~ +/- 10% period variation)

View Profile   IP Logged
Horror Vacui

Dresden, Germany
Re: 100 MHz oscillator on ~0.18um CMOS
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2020, 5:30pm

It is a tough question. I assume of course, that you are looking for a fully integrated architecture without off-chip crystal or resonator.

I see the problem in capacitance variations. All oscillators I am aware of utilize capacitance to determine the oscillation frequency, and on-chip - but even off-chip - capacitors tend to be inaccurate in absolute terms. In order to calibrate it, one need either capacitance or timing reference.

The standard low frequency oscillator topologies are current starved ring and relaxational oscillator, where a cap is charged to a threshold and then discharged.

If you find any good architecture, please share it here.

View Profile   IP Logged
AnalogDE

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2020, 9:48am

Yes I'm looking for a fully integrated solution.

I am able to trim out capacitance variation.  I also have a bandgap VREF available as well as a low tempco IREF.  

I have done a relaxation oscillator that went about 10MHz using a relaxation oscillator before, but I'm having doubts about the same architecture working 10x faster.

Horror Vacui wrote on Apr 3rd, 2020, 5:30pm:
It is a tough question. I assume of course, that you are looking for a fully integrated architecture without off-chip crystal or resonator.

I see the problem in capacitance variations. All oscillators I am aware of utilize capacitance to determine the oscillation frequency, and on-chip - but even off-chip - capacitors tend to be inaccurate in absolute terms. In order to calibrate it, one need either capacitance or timing reference.

The standard low frequency oscillator topologies are current starved ring and relaxational oscillator, where a cap is charged to a threshold and then discharged.

If you find any good architecture, please share it here.

View Profile   IP Logged
Horror Vacui

Dresden, Germany
Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2020, 7:34pm

How do you have a low tempco on-chip IREF? Does the chip have an off-chip resistor? The on-chip resistors are famous for their big variation.

How can you trim out the capacitor variations? The two basic ways to measure a capacitance which pops into my mind rely on a time reference in one way or other.

Don't you have on-chip a crystal oscillator, what you could use for calibration? Is it a purely analog chip, without digital logic?

View Profile   IP Logged
dnw

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2020, 8:46pm

were you able to figure this out.
I am interested in knowing what kind of architecture you ended up with if you could share.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.