The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 4:24pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
variation of parasitic resistance in vertical PNP devices built in CMOS tech (Read 1294 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

variation of parasitic resistance in vertical PNP devices built in CMOS tech
Jun 17th, 2020, 2:12am

Hello All,

I would like to understand the behavior of parasitic resistors in vertical PNP devices manufactured in the leading-edge CMOS processes.

The key parasitics are emitter and base (including base spreading) resistances.
The device model provided by the foundry has lumped both these into 1 single term, namely, the emitter resistance and set this to a constant number.

Given that the precision of my circuits is primarily limited by these, I would like to understand if they are truly relatively constant (say within +/- 20%) over process and temperature or if they vary wildly (say +/- 100% or so). If the former, then I could design for the nominal values of these parameters and be done. If the latter, then much more expensive multi-point calibration would be needed, which would be prohibitive.

Of course, one could get around the issues by biasing the devices at very low current densities (say 1/10th of what I am using), but that would make for a very inefficient design.

Thanks for your hints and comments.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Tako
Community Member

Re: variation of parasitic resistance in vertical PNP devices built in CMOS tech
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2020, 4:17am

You should ask foundry directly. Usually, when working on a given technology, there is a person from the foundry that helps, e.g. application engineer. This person has access to more documentation that is provided with PDK.

I have never considered the problem described by you. I used vertical PNP transistors in CMOS technologies in bandgaps.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.