The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:03pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Unusal FFT of the ADC Output (Read 1340 times)
niloun
Community Member

Unusal FFT of the ADC Output
Oct 31st, 2020, 12:34am

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting an unusual FFT from my ADC output. I have attached an image of the FFT here. Could you please tell me what is happening here?

Thanks

fft.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
polyam
Community Member

Re: Unusal FFT of the ADC Output
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2020, 6:19am

What did you apply to the ADC? Is it a single tone? Can you DAC the output of the ADC to see what you get?

View Profile   IP Logged
niloun
Community Member

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2020, 11:25pm

polyam wrote on Oct 31st, 2020, 6:19am:
What did you apply to the ADC? Is it a single tone? Can you DAC the output of the ADC to see what you get?

Thanks for your response polyAM.
The input is a single tone sinusoid wave. The input frequency is 387.5M Hz, and the sampling frequency is 800M S/s (Nyquist frequency). The type of ADC is Time-Interleaved ADC.

I use Matlab for signal processing. Here is the reconstructed output:

mux_time.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
polyam
Community Member

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2020, 7:45pm

Are you sure you are correctly DACing the output signal ? Clearly the amplitude of your output signal is being modulated. Maybe you need to check your demux. I am guessing there is something wrong with the demux. I did a quick simulation for a TI-ADC. Please see the input and output of the ADC. You should be able to see your input signal (of course with a delay) when you DAC the output of the ADC.

time_domain.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
niloun
Community Member

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2020, 8:13pm

polyam wrote on Nov 1st, 2020, 7:45pm:
Are you sure you are correctly DACing the output signal ? Clearly the amplitude of your output signal is being modulated. Maybe you need to check your demux. I am guessing there is something wrong with the demux. I did a quick simulation for a TI-ADC. Please see the input and output of the ADC. You should be able to see your input signal (of course with a delay) when you DAC the output of the ADC.

Since I'm doing the sampling in Nyquist frequency, I think I should see the modulation. If you decrease the sampling frequency to less than half you should see the same thing. Let's say you have Nfft=64 Cycles=31 then if your sampling frequency is 800M S/s your input frequency must be 800*31/64 which is 387.5M Hz. If you run the simulation for at least Nfft*(1/Fs) seconds then you will see the same thing.

I have also done the simulation for less than Nyquist frequency (1/10), and my DAC output looks more like yours.

onetenth.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
polyam
Community Member

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2020, 2:26pm

Likewise, I am using the same approach. My sampling frequency is fs=2GHz (BW=1GHz) and I am running 2048 FFT points for 191 cycles. That results in an input frequency of (191/2048)*fs. So, I am not indeed down-sampling and I can do FFT. My suggestion is to trace the signal from the input, output of the T&H, check each sub-ADC individually and the output of the demux. Run FFT at each node and see if your single-tone is there.  

Also my simulation time is NFFT/fs. Also I considered a couple of cycles for transient.
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2020, 1:20pm by polyam »  

psd.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.