The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 5:52am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phase Noise through the NTF of VCO (Read 877 times)
subtr
Community Member

Analog Enthusiast

India
Phase Noise through the NTF of VCO
Oct 21st, 2021, 7:35am

Assuming that I have a PSD of random noise on Vcontrol of VCO as discrete points from the simulator, eg. 50 points per decade. Now I have to simply find the phase noise at the output of the VCO. Do I :
A. assume the NTF is Kvco/f, do dot product of PSD and square(Kvco/f) at the corresponding frequency points?
                                                              OR
B. Now that the points are discrete, I assume each bin value is a sinusoid, convert the rms to peak by sqrt(2) and then get the USB/LSB as half the value and then dot product by square(Kvco/f) at the corresponding frequency points?

A and B differ by a scaling factor due to the sinusoid assumption.

Regards
Subtr
View Profile   IP Logged
smlogan
Community Member

Boston, MA
Re: Phase Noise through the NTF of VCO
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2023, 9:19am

Dear subtr,
Do you still have an interest in your question? If so, I can share an Excel workbook that you can use to place your control voltage noise data (noise versus frequency) and it will plot the resulting output phase noise given the Kvco.

Shawn

Shawn
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.