The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:02pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
voltage regulation (Read 714 times)
zahramoh

voltage regulation
Feb 02nd, 2022, 8:56am

I am designing a digital temperature sensor using a ring VCO. The supply voltage is 1.2V and should be constant without any changes due to noise or other parameters. How can I have this constant supply voltage?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: voltage regulation
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2022, 1:55pm

Noise will certainly change the voltage, and as the VCO operates, it will pull different amounts of current from the supply, which will cause fluctuations.

I think you probably need to decide how much fluctuation you can tolerate, and then design the voltage regulator (LDO) to do better.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Horror Vacui

Dresden, Germany
Re: voltage regulation
Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2022, 7:42am

You need a regulator with zero ohm output impedance, and/or an infinite capacitance at the supply. Or at least try to achieve a performance which mimics these ideal conditions.

The current fluctuations in your circuit -- if it's a digital ring VCO, there will be current spikes for every transition -- will drop a voltage on the output impedance of your regulator. A regulator typically has a feedback loop and the regulator is effective only within the bandwidth of this loop. At frequencies above that you can combat voltage droops with a low ESR capacitor on your supply. If the cap is small, then charges/current taken from it will drop its voltage. The current from it will drop a voltage through its ESR.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.