The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 27th, 2024, 3:50pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HOLD-phase operation in flip-around SC acrchirecture (Read 121 times)
A Kumar R
Community Member

India
HOLD-phase operation in flip-around SC acrchirecture
Jul 26th, 2023, 10:57pm

Hello,

i was reading about one SC amplifier, which is called flip-around architecture. it is very simple circuit with just one cap around the loop.

i am trying to understand the hold phase operation.

the question is:

when we connect the left plate of the cap (which is charged to VIN) to the o/p of the amplifier (which is at Vcm) and if the o/p node moves from VCM to VIN i think there must some current (i mean just imagine the amplifier is made-up of a 5T OTA which has high rout), right?

if yes, who will supply the current since the cap can not because it is OPEN on the other side?.

Thanks,
A Kumar R

flip_around_arch.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: HOLD-phase operation in flip-around SC acrchirecture
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2023, 10:39pm

Other than some tiny currents flowing into parasitic capacitors not shown, no current will flow through the capacitor.  As you say, there is no place for the current to go.  The only current that flows through the output flows into the parasitic capacitors of the switch and capacitor.

It is intentional that no current flows through the capacitor when switching to hold mode.  If any current did flow through the capacitor, it would cause the capacitor voltage to change, which would result in a gain error.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
A Kumar R
Community Member

India
Re: HOLD-phase operation in flip-around SC acrchirecture
Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2023, 11:28pm

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply.

it is impossible to explain the operation w/o assuming a parasitic cap at the -ve i/p of the amp. other parasitics do exist, but w/o this parasitic the circuit doesn't work i believe.

after giving some thought, i kind of getting at the following.

if we assume some parasitic at that -ve i/p of the amp....we have a current path. but, since this node is the amp input and if any charge lost at that node the amp tries to correct the output towards that new VIN voltage, and it does so as long as the lost charge is put back (or taken out depending on the direction of VIN w.r.t VCM level) at that node. of course, it depends on the gain A, and the new voltage would be VCM +/- (VCM-VIN)/A.

Thanks,
A Kumar K

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.