The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 3:53pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MOS ft calculation (Read 7274 times)
R. Zakai

MOS ft calculation
Nov 14th, 2003, 11:39am

Can someone suggest a quick and simple way to calculate ft for a MOS transistor using available op-point parameters. I am using BSIM3V3 models in Spectre version 5. It does not provide ft in the operating point information. I tried to estimate it using gm, Cgd,Cgs and Cgb but apparently these capacitances are not physical capacitance, rather they are partial derivatives so they cannot be used directly.

raz

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: MOS ft calculation
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2004, 10:58am

Raz-
You should be OK with gm/(2*pi*cgg)

It looks like cgg includes the overlap capacitance as well as the channel capacitance.

-Geoffrey

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Marek Mierzwinski

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2004, 2:58pm

I don't know how easy this is in Spectre, but since fT is defined as where current gain goes to unity, plotting |Y21| vs freq will give you a very good estimate (assuming the model is accurate).

IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2005, 8:32am

Another possibility is the formula (from Gummel?):

fT = f / Imag(1/h_fe)

where h_fe is the current gain, i_out/i_in.  Bias with a gate voltage with an ac magnitude, then measure the gate and drain currents.  The simulation frequency "f" only needs to be reasonably close to the actual fT.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
crhu

I come, I see, and I
go

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2005, 5:07pm

Hi, there,
I think that we need to clarify which ft you are interested: device(ft) or block(Ft)

All the parameters(Y, H, S, Z, G) depend on the termination, as well as the device.  If there is large difference between the device's input impendance and the termination impendance, the Y/H/S/Z/G are dominated by the reflection in the interface, and the Ft calculated from unity current gain, i.e.H21(db)=0 or H21(mag)=1, is far less than ft calculated from gm/(2*pi*Cg,tot).

-ch

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.