The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 5:05am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noise Analysis (Read 823 times)
akenovic

Noise Analysis
Jan 05th, 2004, 6:20pm

Hi All,

I have  designed  circuits for on-chip low swing signaling (0 - 800mV  swing).   I plan to implement this circuit as a standard cell and I  would  like to do a noise analysis for my circuit.  I would llike to investigate supply noise, wire coupling  noise and transistor  noise sources.    This  cell will be used in a larger digital system running  at  50Mhz to 200MHz.  Being a rookie, I am not sure if I  should  be worried about coupling noise at such speeds?  Any  help will be immensly appreciated.

Thanks.

Victor

View Profile   IP Logged
okguy

Re: Noise Analysis
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2004, 5:35am

Any digital will make noise when toggling, what ever its clock frequency !  :o
And if it 2 small inverters, the noise will be much less than a see of gates !   Tongue

View Profile   IP Logged
akenovic

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2004, 6:17pm

So Okguy, what is the point of your reply?  How does it help me?  My question was not meant as some joke so get serious.  I am not amused.

View Profile   IP Logged
Aigneryu

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2004, 9:07pm

Hi, akenovic

The noise coupling from digital portion to analog one
is difficult to estimate from the preliminary degin phase in mixed-signal circuit (your low triggered circuit may be treated so ). Most coupling is coming from poor layout or board design.

The noise analysis after layout is important for a unexperienced
mixed-signal designer. Maybe you can use some softwares that can help you to justify your circuit after layout. For example, substratestorm.

You can also read Ken's paper on the subject of supply noise. which can be downloaded on this site, and the cadence whitepaper "Substrate Noise Analysis of Mixed-Signal Ics"

Hope they can give you an example or a startup.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.