The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 27th, 2024, 5:46am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LC VCO Simulation using SPECTRE (Read 3889 times)
junkwar2003

WA
LC VCO Simulation using SPECTRE
Jan 13th, 2004, 5:21pm

I am trying to run a standard CMOS LC VCO [cross-coupled Tank LC VCO] simulation in SPECTRE.
I am using TSMC25u provided Inductors and Varacters and such, basically all real elements.
I cannot get the circuit to oscillate. I read that in spectre you need to provide a start up to get
the oscillation going. I have tried injecting ipulse, vpulse, psin source in the output node of the
oscillator to get to start switching but still no luck. I was wondering if anyone know a magic trick
to run LC VCO simulation in SPECTRE. Any hints would be helpful. Thanks

-Parag

View Profile   IP Logged
Mighty Mouse
Community Member

Here I come to save
the day!

Fantasyland
Re: LC VCO Simulation using SPECTRE
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2004, 10:46pm

The need to kick-start oscillators is not unique to Spectre, it is necessary with all simulators. There are two basic approaches that can be used, you can either apply initial conditions to one or both of the resonator components, or you can inject a transient signal into the resonator. With LC oscillators, I would recommend injecting a sinusoidal current into the resonator with a damping factor. Ken has a section in his book on this.

- MM -

View Profile   IP Logged
junkwar2003

WA
Re: LC VCO Simulation using SPECTRE
Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2004, 5:54pm

I got the ossc. to start using ipulse but thanks for your response.

Parag

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.