The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 27th, 2024, 1:09am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
td noise of a BJT switching pair (Read 2200 times)
City

td noise of a BJT switching pair
May 14th, 2004, 1:53am

Hello,

I'm having troubles with the Pnoise time-domain noise analysis. The analysis I am setting up as benchmark is a simple BJT differential pair with an ideal tail current source. The differential pair is driven by a 0.5V sinewave signal at 2GHz. Using controlled voltage sources, I am plotting the time-varying differential output noise current of the differential pair. From theoretical analysis, it is possible to predict the output noise time domain variation which exhibits a maximum when the differential input signal is about about zero (both BJTs are driving). In my case the tail current source is 1mA and the expected peak noise voltage (1Mhz, 1Mhz+1Hz) is about 20pA/sqrt(Hz). [ref: mixer noise paper terrovitis, grey]

I've used Pss/Pnoise tdnoise analysis to validate the calculation. maxsideband parameter is usually set high so as to take in account noise folding effects. I obtained a peak current noise of 80pA/sqrt(Hz) which is not the expected value. Setting back maxsideband to 1 gives the expected noise current value of 20 pA/sqrt(Hz).

The theorectical analysis takes in account the time-varying large-signal behavior of the differential pair(cyclo-stationnary noise), so where is the fault ? I don't understand ...   Cry

City

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.