The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 8:42pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Turn off thermal noise in SpectreRF simulation (Read 6970 times)
bluepisces

Turn off thermal noise in SpectreRF simulation
Jul 31st, 2004, 9:23pm

Hi,

For some reason, I have to model an ideal MOS without any noise. By setting kf=0 in BSIM3v3 model, flicker noise will be zero. However, I have no idea how to make a MOS thermally noiseless in SpectreRF simulation. Since many properties are affected by temperature, it would not be a good idea to reduce temperature. Thanks for any response.

???

View Profile   IP Logged
August West
Community Member

I'll get up and fly
away

Re: Turn off thermal noise in SpectreRF simulation
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2004, 1:29am

There is no direct way of doing this that I know of, though you might take a close look at the noise parameters ('spectre -h bsim3v3' if using bsim3). You might find a global thermal noise scaling factor that could be set to 0.

I've seen two basic approaches to getting around this problem, neither are very satisfying. In one, you basically build a duplicate MOS model in Verilog-A but without the noise sources and use it for the noiseless device. The other approach is to continue to allow the device to be noisy, but simply do your own computation of total output noise or whatever you are interested in, but exclude the individual contribution from the device that you would like to be noise free. The individual noise contributor summary gives you enough information to do this.

-August

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2004, 1:29am

One should ask why you want to have a noiseless transistor in
simulation? Do you have some magic process which allows the device to be noiseless in manufacturing ;-) ?

Andrew.

P.S. I don't know a way of making an individual transistor noiseless (resistors can be made noiseless, using the isnoisy=no option).

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
August West
Community Member

I'll get up and fly
away

Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2004, 6:08pm

I believe the parameter you need is gamma (at least for bsim3v3). I think if you set gamma to 0 the thermal noise of the channel goes away. If you also set kf to 0, the flicker noise goes away. You would have to set the value of any parasitic resistors to zero go get rid of their thermal noise.

-August

View Profile   IP Logged
bluepisces

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2004, 6:23am

Hi!

Yes! It works if I add "gamma=0" in the BSIM3v3 model and set all the parasitic resistances to zero.

Of course, I can't make the device noiseless in reality.
Why I do this is for the study of noise contribution from each device.

Thank you!  :)

View Profile   IP Logged
Eugene

Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2004, 1:18pm

Doesn't the "print noise summary" list the noise contribution from each device so that you don't have to make individual devices noiseless?

View Profile   IP Logged
bluepisces

Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2004, 8:56am

Hi, Eugene

What I want is the phase noise.
So, "print noise summary" doesn't fit my demand.
I don't know if SpectreRF can list "phase noise summary". If so, that would be great!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.