The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 12:27pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jitter in VCO (Read 3533 times)
ram

Jitter in VCO
Aug 17th, 2004, 5:36am

Hi,

I want to know jitter value of my ring oscillator. I have designed the circuit using hspice. How can I measure the jitter through hspice  I mean what should be test setup to measure it. Please guide me on this.

Thanks

ram

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: Jitter in VCO
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2004, 5:33am

Ram,

It is difficult to simulate the jitter of VCO in HSPICE.

I used to measure the jitter of VCO by adding a small series resistor on power supply. But it just introduce a ripple of the same period as the VCO. So the period of VCO is still constant.

I also tried to measure the jitter by tuning the power supply a little, say 100mV. Then I measure the difference of the period (Tp1) before tuning and the period (Tp2) after tuning.

Tjitter = Tp1 - Tp2

Obviously it is not accurate because we don't know the amplitude of power supply noise and ground noise.

So the problem is modeling the substrate noise and other inteference. The real jitter of a PLL/VCO is very senstive to its environment, including swithing noise of digital circuit, SSN noise of pads, even electromagnetic radiation. The real jitter is difficult to predict because the huge digital circuit is not controled by the circuit designer who design the PLL.   Sad

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
ram

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2004, 11:14pm

Yawai,

Thanks for the guidance.

I want to know how to convert this Tjitter to rms jitter spec.

Thanks again.

Regards
Ram

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2004, 9:20pm

Ram,

The Tjitter is just a crude estimation. I don't know how to convert it to rms jitter. sorry.

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.