The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 7:59pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SpectreRF underestimates thermal noise in SC ckt. (Read 2796 times)
Vivek Sharma

SpectreRF underestimates thermal noise in SC ckt.
Aug 25th, 2004, 3:42am

Hi,

I am using SpectreRF to check for the effect of aliased wideband noise in my delta-sigma modulator as it is quite hard to predict the increase in the noise level owing to sampling.

I am suprised to see that the simulated noise power is 100 times lower than what I would expect from handcalculations (even neglecting the effect of aliasing on thermal noise). I am quite sure that my calculations are correct, especially since the simulation results are way off the mark in practical terms, requiring miniscule amount of capacitance to realize a rather high level of accuracy.

I have not used the "pnoise" analysis option much, but I suppose that allowing 100 sidebands should be enough to take care of any amount of aliasing. Even using more or less sidebands does not change the result much.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Perhaps there is some special parameter that I have forgotten to set. Since I am trying to simulate kTC noise, I do not assign any PAC magnitude to any of the voltage sources in my circuit.

I have set "maxacfrequency" (PSS parameter) as required for 100 sidebands. The number of harmonics in PSS is set to 0.

If anyone can offer a suggestion, it would be great.

Thanks
Vivek

IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: SpectreRF underestimates thermal noise in SC c
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2004, 5:19am

The really important parameter is maxsideband. See section 2.2 of http://www.designers-guide.com/Analysis/sc-filters.pdf.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.