The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 6th, 2024, 11:59am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PLL loop stability Fundamentals (Read 7368 times)
simon1

PLL loop stability Fundamentals
Sep 02nd, 2004, 1:37am

Hi Everyone,

I have a fundamental question to ask.

Assuming a 3rd order charge pump PLL.
If you do a AC analysis to check the loop stability,
the inital phase will start from -180 because there are
already two poles at origin contributed by VCO & the 2nd order loop filter.

Now I know that the Phase Margin (PM) is measured at the cross over freq point = phase - (-180) degrees.
The phase around the crossover point will be "helped"
by the zero in the loop filter; hence it will be lesser than
-180 ie zero contributed +90 phase.

Now for my question: from theory, an oscillation will start if the phase is -180deg and loop gain >>1. So from
the 0Hz to crossover freq region where the loop gain is high and phase is -180deg. does that mean the loop have the tendency to oscillate ???

Thanks in advance!

View Profile   IP Logged
jeffyan
Community Member

Re: PLL loop stability Fundamentals
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2004, 7:45pm

hi simon:
as we know, there are three commonly methods(bode plot,nyquist diagram and root locus plot) in stability analysis,and they have their own characteristics. for PLL design, bode plot  seems to be the most helpful. however, when considered a loop which gain exceeds unit at 180 degree,we can't tell whether it will oscillate only from bode plot,(because the loop won't achieve steady state oscillation unless its open loop gain eaqual to unit).and then  we will turn to other two methods,nyquist diagram or locus plot.
for more information,please refer to w.f.egan's book"phase-lock basics".

good luck!

Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
Art Schaldenbrand

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2004, 7:47am

Simon,

Two things:

1) See "Frequency Synthesis by Phase Lock", by W. Egan,
    in particular, Chapter 6 discusses Higher Order Loop  
    filters.

2) Also, though I can't find a reference, I believe that the
   condition for stability is little different than you
   describe. It is more like the loop is stable if the slope of
   the magnitude at  gain=1 is 20dB/dec.  So as long as
   there is one more  pole than zero in the loop, the loop
   should be stable.

A little additional discussion, if you think of the Barkhausen Criterion, oscillation is only sustained at gain=1.  So the above rule is just implying the system is well-behaved at the unity gain cross-over, i.e., there is not enough excess phase from the higher order to poles to cause oscillation.

Best Regards,

Art Schaldenbrand

IP Logged
sugar
Community Member

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2005, 8:59am

I am also confused with this question.
I think that at low frequency, the loop is unstable because the total phase shift of the loop is 360 degree and gain is larger than 1, so the feedback signal will amplify itself again and again, that means even we remove the input signal, output signal still exists.
From this viewpoint, the system is unstable.
But if we draw its root locus, we can see all the poles are on the LHP, so the system is stable.
Is my understanding about bode plot wrong?

View Profile   IP Logged
Jess Chen
Community Fellow

California Bay Area
Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2005, 8:49am

I accidently posted this in the wrong location. Here is where I meant to post it.

Your question touches a more general question, one that is frequently asked in controls classes. The question has to do with conditional stability. What if the Nyquist plot crosses the negative real axis several times before diving into the unit circle with a respectable (and stable) phase margin? Usually, there's enough phase shift at high frequencies that the Nyquist plot crosses over at least once after crossing into the unit circle. Assuming there are no open loop poles in the RHP, the system is defined as conditionally stable, meaning that the system is unstable only if the gain is decreased by some amount or increased by another amount. In this case, the system is stable but the are several places where gain exceeds unity and phase = 180 (total feedback phase = 360). I have yet to hear an intuitive answer to this apparent paradox. I suspect this is simply one of those times we must abandon our intuition and adhere to a strict interpretation of the Nyquist stability criterion.

I would also like to point out one other thing about your example. You say the phase is 180 at DC. There are very few true integrators in the real analog world. For example, all physical capacitors have some leakage. The PLL is probably only first order at DC and therefore does not actually have 180 degrees of phase shift at DC.

Also, if you check the text books, the Nyquist contour takes a jog around the origin when the open loop gain has poles there. The resulting Nyquist plot does not actually touch the negative real axis at DC.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2005, 12:35am

Hi,

As far as I can see, the PLL is a biquad filter. It has one true integrator, which is the VCO, and a damped integrator, which is the loop filter. Therefore, the phase change through the loop is less than 360 degrees at the lower end of the Bode plot. So, Jess is right in this sense, but the important point is that we do not let nature take its course and make the integrator damped, but we explicitly add something to the loop filter to achieve this goal.

In fact, you always place a resistor in the loop filter to provide stability. I believe that Razavi discusses this in his tutorial in his text on PLLs.

What really is much more interesting to imagine what DC really means in case of a PLL, where the input and output are excess phase and not voltages Smiley

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.