The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 3:56pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
signed logical operations in VHDL (Read 3267 times)
neocool

signed logical operations in VHDL
Sep 10th, 2004, 11:06am

Hi,
I am fairly new to VHDL.
I am designing BPSK modulator and want it to output unsigned or 2's compliment format depending on the register settings I choose (so software selectable). I am wondering, how would you work with unsigned and 2's compliment in VHDL. Do you have to do all math manually or there are any special functions that can sum/subtract two 2's compliment numbers automatically? I have to use multiplication and addition of signals in my code.

Thanks for any help in advance

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: signed logical operations in VHDL
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2004, 12:57pm

Hello,

you can define your signals as unsigned, a predefined signal type. All operations on this type are predefined too.
As far as I remember, synthesis tools also understand 'unsigned' correctly and the signals will be synthesized as a n-bit logic signal.

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
neocool

Re: signed logical operations in VHDL
Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2004, 11:04am

thanks
I've partially answered this question myself. Apparently, signed ports did not work for me. I had to cast slv to signed, then do multiplication and then cast it back to slv. THe result contained 2's compliment number
thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.