The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 8th, 2024, 8:46pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PSS convergence problem of Frequency Divider (Read 3165 times)
Ray_Lin

Taiwan
PSS convergence problem of Frequency Divider
Oct 06th, 2004, 10:16pm

Dear All:
       I'm simulating the phase noise contribution of a divider. I found that the divide ratio should be the 2^n (ex. 2,4,8....).
       I've never get pss convergence when the divider ration is 40/44  ??? . Is the settings  or the limitation of pss algorithm?

Regards,   Ray

View Profile Ray_Lin Ray_Lin   IP Logged
August West
Community Member

I'll get up and fly
away

Re: PSS convergence problem of Frequency Divider
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2004, 12:50am

To apply PSS the circuit must have a periodic solution and the period must reasonable relative to the frequency of the drive signals. For this reason, fractional dividers are usually not appropriate for PSS. Particularly the newer delta-sigma dividers. Here the period is very long relative to the input clock frequency.

However, there is another way. You can characterize the phase noise of the individual stages and use these to predict total phase noise. This process is described in "Predicting the phase noise and jitter of PLL-based frequency synthesizers" in http://www.designers-guide.com/Analysis/.

-August

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.