The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 6:39pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
THA Design (Read 1753 times)
codec

THA Design
Nov 03rd, 2004, 4:29am

Hello,
I met difficulty in THA design of the pipelined ADC. The T/H circuit has a worst case THD of 72dB@1.875MHz(fs=60MHz) but 55dB@58.125MHz(fs=60MHz). In such case, what should I focus on in order to improve the performance? Any adivce or recommended paper?
Thanks a lot!

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: THA Design
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2004, 6:23am

Hi,

First of all, I want to know how do you measure THD of the THA.  :)

When I simulate THA, I measure THD using FFT analysis. It is important to control the start time and step of FFT because the Track and hold is a one-order sample and hold. Do you think so?

About your problem, THD decreases as the input frequency increases because of finite input bandwidth. I think you should lower the on-resistance of input switch or lower the capacitance of the sampling capacitor. Smiley

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
codec

Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2004, 7:51am

Thanks, ywguo!
I also use FFT to measure THD.  I set fin=fs/32 and take 64 points or above to calculate FFT.
The Fu of THA amp is about 600MHz and it is a flip-around THA structure. I also suspected that Ron of SW was too high, but when I used ideal SW with Ron as low as 50~100ohm, the THD was not improved. (It is also this simulation let me select CMOS SW instead of boostrapped SW)
What about your simulation result?

BTW, I use Spectre .

View Profile   IP Logged
microant2000
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2004, 10:49pm

hello,
I want to know the resolution of your THA,and what do you mean in your article "55dB@58.125MHz",it seems that the measure is in the undersampling condition.
Do you measure the sample switch' THD? it will limit the THA performance.about the  on-resistance , i think you should make it constant ,not lower.
sorry, my English is poor, i hope you can understand my ideal. Cheesy
Best regards,
microant

IP Logged
codec

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2004, 3:25am

Thanks, MicroAnt

It is true that constant Ron(Vin) is of most importance. These days, I chaned the switch to bootstrapped type and archieved a better THD of 65dB@61.875MHz. (undersampling mode)
But I am wondering whether such simulation is necessary.

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2004, 3:53am

Hi, Codec,

Have you measured the on-resistance of the switches? I wonder the relationship between the resistance and the THD.

The THD of the THA is necessary because it decides the THD of whole ADC. Smiley

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
codec

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2004, 7:23pm

Hello,  Yawei
Ron is around 60~100ohm in my design.

I mean whether it is necessary for me to simulate the circuit under the condition of "undersampling"? In real application, would such case occur?

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2004, 7:16pm

Codec,

Ron is around 60~100Ohm for bootstrapped swtich? That is very near Ron in my design, which is a 40MHz, 10bit IF-samping ADC.

The undersampling depends on your application. For eg., an IF-sampling ADC used in DVB-C demodulator.

What is your application?

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
codec

Reply #8 - Nov 30th, 2004, 2:52pm

Hi, Yawei
Sorry for my late reply. I was busy working these days.
My current design is for the request of a custom.  It is said to be a video application.

BTW, have you done the post-layout simulation?
When I was doing the post simulation on the THA block, I found that the THD degradated for near 10dB. I am trying to find the problem. Have you any ideas?

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.