The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 3:41pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PAC analysis of "Gain Stage" (Read 2581 times)
behzad

PAC analysis of "Gain Stage"
Nov 27th, 2004, 12:41am

Hello all,
I want to simulate a 1.5 bit gain stage by PAC.
I have already done the PAC analysis for SC integrator and it works right.
But since in SC gain stage there is a reseting phase in the output, PAC result shows the gain 6dB less than real number.
Is this due to PAC analysis limitation or there is somethin wrong in my simulation?

Regards
Behzad

IP Logged
August West
Community Member

I'll get up and fly
away

Re: PAC analysis of "Gain Stage"
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2004, 9:14am

PAC is considering the whole signal (over a complete clock cycle) when computing the gain. If your signal spends half its time at zero due to a reset phase, that will effectivly reduce your gain by half (6 dB).

To avoid this problem, use the idealized sample-and-hold given in http://www.designers-guide.com/Analysis/hidden-state.pdf and sample the output of you circuit at the time the subsequent stage would normally sample it. Then have PAC compute the transfer function to the output of the sample and hold. This gives a much better measure of the effective gain of you stage, though it does add some sin(x)/x distortion.

-August

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.