The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 9th, 2024, 8:45am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem in SC filter simulation (Read 4378 times)
shyboy

Problem in SC filter simulation
Jan 04th, 2005, 8:37pm

Hi all,

I was trying to simulate an SC lowpass filter using spectre and I found that the output is very small, almost zero...So i guess i didn't give the correct input signal...
The input i used was a dc voltage source with dc level 1V and a PAC of 1V...Can anyone tell me whether this input is correctly set? If not, how should I set it?

Thanks~~

shyboy

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Problem in SC filter simulation
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2005, 9:47pm

Well, without knowing what analyses you ran, it's hard to know...

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
shyboy

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2005, 10:00pm

Hi, Andrew,

Thanks for your reply...I am new to cadence, so i may be asking silly questions...Is it true that, to simulate an SC filter using Spectre, I need to run a PSS analysis followed by a PAC analysis? Can I simply use just an AC analysis?

shyboy

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2005, 11:37pm

Yes, you need to run a PSS analysis followed by a PAC analysis. No, you cannot simply use just an AC analysis. Have you already read http://www.designers-guide.com/Analysis/sc-filters.pdf ?

shyboy

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2005, 6:25pm

yes, i did read that paper, but i don't quite understand it...Could you kindly clarify some of my doubts?

1. Vin: if i set the type to dc, how can i specify the frequncy, amplitude, etc.? And where can i find the "alter" statement?

2. pss analysis: What are fundamental tones and beat frequency and what is the correct manner to specify them? And where can i specify the maxacfreq? Also what are the parameters in Options that are normally specified during SC filter simulation?

3. pac analysis: what effect does maxsideband have on the sim result? The paper mainly talked about the effect of maxsideband in the noise analysis, i think...

Sorry for so many questions...BTW, i am a student struggling with a design project, and i don't have much background on this project...So any help from you guys will be appreciated...

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2005, 4:22pm

You could always read the documentation, or do you want us to do that for you as well?

Sorry for the cutting remark, but there is some fairly decent documentation for SpectreRF which would get you most of the way there.

Andrew.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.