The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 3:21pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Estimate pk-pJitter using eye diagram in SpectreRF (Read 17740 times)
ic_engr

Estimate pk-pJitter using eye diagram in SpectreRF
Feb 09th, 2005, 9:05am

Hello All,

I am trying to estimate peak-peak jitter with Time Interval Error of 30us for my Oscilltor. The fundamental frequency for my oscillator is only 2MHz.

I ran pss-pnoise simulations in SpectreRF. Therafter, in the simulation directory I plotted trans-pss plot of my oscillator output and used the Eye Diagram function in the calculator. I enetered the interval of 30usec and used an estimate for the period and plotted the eye diagram. I am measuring the spread on the eye diagram as the pk-pk jitter. Will this method give me proper pk-pk jitter for TIE of 30usec.
Does the tran-pss output generated in spectre is same as the one generated in eldo using .noisetran, i.e includes all the noise affects since my models have flicker noise parameters.

Thx

ic_engr

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Estimate pk-pJitter using eye diagram in Spect
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2005, 1:07pm

No, this will not give you any kind of jitter information.

If you're looking at the pss-td results, then this will only be a single period of the fundamental frequency. If you're looking at the pss-tran (or whatever it is called), then this is just the initial transient used for partial settling before the shooting interval starts. In either case, these do not include any noise sources.

In pnoise, the noise sources are added as small signal noise sources around each of the devices in the circuit. It will then compute the transfer functions of these to the output (including any noise folding effects) giving you the total noise at the output of the circuit in a desired band. You can also strobe the noise using tdnoise.

All of this is discussed in Ken's paper on jitter and phase noise in the Analysis section (see links at the top of the site's web page). Also, there is a "jitter" mode for pnoise now (introduced in IC5141) which allows you to measure jitter more conveniently/directly for both driven and autonomous circuits.

Spectre does now have a transient noise analysis (as from MMSIM60 onwards), but in general you would usually be better off using pnoise/tdnoise if you can (it would normally be quicker and more accurate). There have been discussions to this effect in this forum before, if my memory serves me correctly. Transient noise analyses are best for looking in a qualitative way where noise results in some large signal effect, particularly in non-periodic circuits (or at least circuits where the period is not constant).

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ic_engr

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2005, 1:53pm

Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. If I do use the pnoise then based on Ken's paper I can compute accumulating jitter. I did compute the accumulating jitter using the pnoise. However, what I am interested in is the pk-pk jitter in Time Interval Error of 30usec, how would I estimate that.

Your help will be appreciated.

The output of the oscillator I am designing is a square pulse and would pnoise analysis be still accurate?.

Tx

ic_engr

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2005, 8:43am

The concept of peak-to-peak jitter is not well defined in this context. The noise sources are Gaussian, which are unbounded. And as such, the resulting jitter is unbounded. The best you can do is give the likelihood that a particular bound is exceeded.

-Ken

ic_engr

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2005, 8:55am

Thanks Ken,

I did take note of that in your paper. However, the specification is that in a Time Interval error of 30usec I need not to exceed a jitter of 1.0nsec for my oscillator.

I am trying to use the tdnoise feature for this purpose.
Would I be able to predict the jitter based plotting the voltage vs Spectrum and then perform integration across the BW. Should I square before integration using the calculator or not.

Thanks for your time Ken.

ic_engr

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2005, 1:14pm

You should always integrate the noise power (V2/Hz) and not the noise voltage. So you can either square the noise voltage or use the noise power directly, Spectre computes both.

-Ken

ic_engr

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2005, 1:55pm

Thanks Ken,

I did integrate the sqaure of the voltage over 0 to fo/2. fo=4.04MHz.

I got a number like 800. Now I divided this with the Slew Rate of my PSS fundamental and I got something very large like 40nsec.

Did I do something wrong.

Tx

ic_engr

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2005, 3:16pm

At a minimum, you must take the square root after integrating to convert V2 to V. Then dividing through by the slew rate will give you units of seconds.

-Ken

ic_engr

Reply #8 - Feb 10th, 2005, 4:52pm

Thanks Ken,

I will do that, In the PNOISE form when I select the peak, and compute the jitter the way you mentioned would it still be rms jitter or pk jitter.

Also calculating jitter this manner will include the 1/f noise or still assume only white noise using the strobe method (tdnoise)

I appreciate your time on this matetr.

ic_engr

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2005, 5:16pm

I am not familiar with the peak option on the PNoise form, but as I said before, it cannot be the peak jitter because Gaussian jitter is not bounded. Peak jitter really only makes sense when the jitter is deterministic.

You should avoid the flicker noise (remove it before integrating). Jitter due to flicker noise is not defined.

-Ken

ic_engr

Reply #10 - Feb 10th, 2005, 7:29pm

Ken Sorry for the mis-information. Its actually the
signal selection in the PSS form (peak or rms).

Should I plot the noise from pnoise or from pss after I run the tdnoise simulation.

Can I run PNOIS simulation without tdnoise and just plot the output noise A^2/Hz and integrate over the BW.

Thanks for your input.

ic_engr

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #11 - Feb 10th, 2005, 9:55pm

I wondered whether you might be using the pss results instead of the pnoise/tdnoise results (from another post you made in another thread).

It sounds as if you're doing Direct Plot->Main Form, and then you'd get a choice of pss and pnoise. If you're interested in the noise, looking at the pss results will not give you the information you're after, since that is the large signal results (as I explained earlier), before the noise sources are enabled. It's the pnoise tab which will give you access to the pnoise or tdnoise results.

I think you need to read the SpectreRF documentation (user guide, theory guide)  in cdsdoc, as I think your understanding of what each analysis does is a little misplaced.

Regards,

Andrew.

ic_engr

Reply #12 - Feb 11th, 2005, 7:04am

Andrew,

Thanks for pointing that out and I did read the SpectreRF guide on this issue. Things are much clearer.

I did run tdnoise and in the tdnoise form (not PSS form anymore) I plotted the integrated noise and I got 10.5uV. If I divide this number by the Slew Rate of 20e9V/sec I get a rms jitter of 0.52fSec. I feel this is very low. Is it due to the fact that in this method we are assuming only white noise and neglecting 1/f noise.

I was wondering if now I go back to the standard PNOISE simulation and plot output noise as A^2/Hz and integrate that lets say from 100Hz (to include some appreciable 1/f noise contributions) to fo/2 and then divide this by Slew Rate, would'nt this be a more realistic estimate  of Jitter for my oscillator.  As I have to make estimate for long term jitter and we know in log term jitter the 1/f noise contributes.

I do agree that if all the 1/f noise (1Hz since 1/f is at lower freq) is included, as Ken pointed out ,we may have a problem that jitter will be unbounded, but if we include some portion of low frequency 1/f noise e.g 100Hz then will this provide a better estimate for jitter?.

I really appreciate your feedback.

ic_engr

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #13 - Feb 11th, 2005, 9:06am

If you use standard PNoise rather than the strobed PNoise, then you are including noise that occurs at times other than when the signal is crossing its threshold. Noise produced when the output is all the way high or all the way low does not contribute to jitter, but often dominates the noise that standard PNoise measures.

Actually, I went back and took a closer look at my notes, and I think you should be able to include the flicker noise. Before you do though, make sure you have carefully resolved the flicker noise. I often see people use equal frequency point spacing during their PNoise analysis with an insufficient number of points to accurately resolve the flicker noise corner, and when they do the integration they get a highly inflated number for the flicker noise contribution.

-Ken

ic_engr

Reply #14 - Feb 11th, 2005, 9:12am

Thanks Ken,

I already have Flicker Noise included in the models. So when I run strobed Pnoise and on pnoise form after simulation select Integrate output noise and use varying BW I get the same number, 10.5u.

Woudl you know what may be happening.

Or should I go to pss page after the simulation of strobed pnoise and plot output SQR(V) and integrate across the BW.

Please let me know

ic_engr

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.