The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 12:43pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
simulating a differential mixer (Read 3956 times)
zxhelinor

simulating a differential mixer
Feb 24th, 2005, 9:05am

Dear Ken,

I read your article about simulating differential circuits, say Mixer. I have some questions related to LO differential input. I put an ideal balun from Cadence analoglib, with one input connecting to port of sine source(pLd) with port impedance(100ohm for example), another input to a port of DC source (pLc) with V=0.9volt with the port impedance of 25ohm. When I run the DC analysis, I found out that the DC node voltage of the pLc is 1.8V which is twice of the DC voltage I set. Could you explain what it means?

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: simulating a differential mixer
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2005, 10:30am

It means that the common mode impedance looking into the LO port is much higher than 25 Ohms. A port component produces the specified voltage only when properly terminated.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
zxhelinor

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2005, 12:17pm

Dear Ken,

Thanks a lot for your reply. In order to understand the test bench for differential input circuit, I construct a simple circuit: an ideal balun from Cadence Analoglib, two input ports to balun are:
1.Pld(differential mode, sine type, amplitude=1.8V): f=5G with source impedance of 100ohm;
2.Plc(common mode, DC type, Vdc=1V): with source impedance of 25ohm;
The balun's two outputs are connected to ground through 50ohm resistors respectively. So the differential input impedance is 100ohm, and the common mode input impedance is 25ohm. Then I run a DC and PSS simulation, this time the DC node voltage is correct, but the PSS voltage at the input(Pld) of balun is 1.8V with phase of 270degree. This result surprised me, the expected value observed at input(Pld) should be 1.8V with phase=0 since the port is perfectly matched.
Am I wrong in the set up?

Thanks a lot.

zxhelinor

View Profile   IP Logged
Mighty Mouse
Community Member

Here I come to save
the day!

Fantasyland
Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2005, 1:57pm

Are you using a recent version of SpectreRF? I believe that originally the time reference for phase in PSS was chosen to be the start of the shooting interval, which would mean that the reported phase was dependent on things like tstab. I thought they had fixed that in more recent versions.

- MM -

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.