The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 6:08am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ken, I have a basic question (Read 58 times)
James
Community Member

snowfiled

Ken, I have a basic question
Mar 29th, 2005, 10:30pm

Ken,

I'm a beginer on PLL design and encounter a problem on PSS analysis.

In your paper "Predicting Pnoise and Jitter on PLL", you show that for a periodic PLL, we can use PSS ann Pnoise to see the pnoise and jitter in a PLL and I do this. Here is the question:

1. I put a pulse source in the pll schematic as the input reference frequency: 24MHz. I config the PSS and in the section of "Fundemental Tones", it shows the 24M ref input. Then I set the "Beat Frequency" as 24M too and config other sections in PSS.

2. I started the simulation and it failed. It shows "Error found by spectre during periodic steady state analysis `pss'.`V7' is a periodic input signal, which is inconsistent with autonomous       circuits." V7 is the name of my input reference pulse source.

3. I deleted the V7 so there is no reference frequency input in this PLL. I still set "Beat frequency" as 24M and start simulation. It failed again and said "It cannot converge"

4. My PLL structrue is almost the same as yours in Fig1 in your paper except that there is no OSC in my pll. Instead, I use a pulse source. My divider is 8 and the VCO is suppose to oscillate at 192MHz. It works well when I do the transient simulation.

The problem is  I don't know how to perform PSS simulation correctly since I've never done this before.

Best Regards

James

James
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Ken, I have a basic question
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2005, 1:01am

Don't specify the output of the circuit to the PSS analysis. Spectre uses this as a cue to enable its "autonomous" algorithm. A PLL is not autonomous, it is driven.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.