The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 6:35am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Different Process Technologies on Single Chip (Read 1039 times)
Vishwanath M

Different Process Technologies on Single Chip
Apr 04th, 2005, 1:48am

Hi Friends,
I have one query, Can I have different Process technologies like 0.18um, 0.13um, say for example OpAmp I will place half transistors with 0.18um and remaining with 0.13um.  Is it possible to fabricate?

Thanks in Advance....

Regards
Vishwanath M

IP Logged
DReynolds

Scarborough ME
Re: Different Process Technologies on Single Chip
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2005, 6:03am

Vishwanath,  the short answer is no, you can't have different processes on a chip, however, you can of course draw a .18um transistor on a .13um design. Another exception is that most fine line processes have dual gate oxides ( a thin one for regular circuits, and a thicker one for IO) in this case you really can have two different  devices like .13um and .35um(3.3v) on a chip.

hope this helps

David Reynolds

View Profile   IP Logged
Vishwanath M

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2005, 3:25am

Hi David Reynolds,
If we can have 0.13um for core logic (thin oxide) and 0.35um for I/O Pads (Thick Oxide) on a chip. Why can't have two process technologies.
If not! is it fab problem or other problem..

Other view...
From simulations point of view we can do using two process technologies using spectre.
After this, face problem arise to do extraction/LVS....
Is it true what I am saying....  

Thanks for your replay....
Vishwanath M

IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2005, 5:44am

Vishwanath,

I am not sure to understand you correctly. It is not possible to use different manufacturing processes on a single wafer because there is very little need. As in 0.13um technology you can draw your device's channel length whatever you want, provided it is larger than 0.13um, I don't see the reason why you would like to have 0.18um technology devices...

The reason to provide "0.35um devices", which have thicker gate oxyde, is to have convenient voltage levels to communicate with the outer world. Applying the 3.3V I/O voltage to 0.13um devices would break down the gate oxyde very quickly.

Could you share the reasoning behind your question, please?

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Vishwanath M

Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2005, 12:18am

It is only knowladge....
Thanks Paul...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.