The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 10th, 2024, 9:39pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phase/Frequency Detector (Read 3917 times)
Fei

Phase/Frequency Detector
Apr 25th, 2005, 6:08am

I implemented a PFD using TSMC 0.18 um lib model.  The design is proposed in Razavi's book "RF micronelectronics", which is composed of four Nor gates in each D flip flop.  The interesting thing about the PFD is that it is sensitive to the initial states of the circuit.  For example, the output can be different for the same delay between reference clock and VCO clock if the set of initial states of the two DFF is changed.  

I check the DC solutions of the circuit.  It has a metastable state, which means that the output is neither 0 nor Vdd.  Does it cause the problem?

Any comments on it are welcome.

Thanks

Fei

View Profile   IP Logged
jfyan

Re: Phase/Frequency Detector
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2005, 7:51am

hi fei:

i met the similar  thing as you stated, but the outputs
(v(up) and v(dn) ) are sensive the some gates's sizes.
please check the signal reset and v(ref) and v(vco), whether a missing clock eage is happened.
for more information about nonideal linear PFD characteristic, please refer to  Mozhgan Mansuri's phd thesis. (she is a phd of UCLA), you also can find her jssc paper in ieee.
ps:

who can tell me how can i simulate the dead zone of PFD, and how much dead zone can i  ignore, and has no serious effect in jitter characterictic .

thanks advance.

IP Logged
vijay

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2005, 4:15am

The dead zone of the PFD along with the charge pump is what you are looking for??

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2005, 10:42am

In general the metastable state is not a problem. All flip-flops and latches have them. In general they are unstable equilibrium points, so they are never reached in practice.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.