The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 4th, 2024, 9:51am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Settling Time and Slew Rate Mesurement (Read 557 times)
Packiaraj.V.

Settling Time and Slew Rate Mesurement
Jun 03rd, 2005, 4:17am

Hi,
   Can any one tell me the procedure for measuring slew rate and settling time for fully differential OTA.
   I followed the paper " A Fast settling OTA with 90 db gain for SC circuits" by BULT and GEELAN., which discusses that procudure for single ended OTA. I modified that for fully differential OTA. I connected equal value of capacitances and resistances to the input and feedback sides. Though my Non Slewing class AB OTA had gain of 75 dB and UGF of 500 MHz in typical corner, the settling time it displayed was 20 ns. I doubt whether my procedure is correct. Help me.
And while doing settling time  measurement should the DC shift for the step voltage be zero or input CM voltage needed to bias OTA?
I would be grateful if any one suggest good material for this.
Thanx,
Packiaraj.V.

IP Logged
Leyman

Malaysia
Re: Settling Time and Slew Rate Mesurement
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2005, 7:10pm

Hi Packiaraj. V,

I recommend you read  Stanford lecture notes on Analog Circuit Design. They provide some usefull informations about test benches for simulating loop gain, settling time, step response etc.

go to the following link:
http://www.stanford.edu/class/ee214/handouts/

I hope it helps..good luck! Smiley

-leyman-

View Profile bincut   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: Settling Time and Slew Rate Mesurement
Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2005, 8:41am

Hello Packiaraj,

the settling time is related to the UGF through the settling error you can tolerate. Your specifications should define that error and the settling time, from which you can then calculate the required UGF. It is difficult to judge if your results are correct without knowing your target settling error, but the values you mention sound reasonable to me.

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.