The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 30th, 2024, 1:36am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spiral inductors and EM-noise (Read 2624 times)
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Spiral inductors and EM-noise
Aug 10th, 2005, 3:04am

Hello,

I am using spiral inductors for peaking purposes in a high-speed (GHz-range) amplifier and I was wondering whether it might pick up ambient EM noise that could perturbate the signal. The design is fully differential for supply and substrate noise rejection and the inductor therefor is a t-coil type structure.

Has anybody experienced such problems or suggestions to avoid this problem. Or isn't this a real issue after all?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Re: Spiral inductors and EM-noise
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2005, 6:01am

Generally it is not an issue, since the signal in your CML stage is digital signal instead of RF signal.

If you are treating with small signal such as LNA, you can add inductor ground shield, and place inductors far enough.

How far is enough? That is a question. I will use suggest 200um as the bottom line, if your inductor is 100um square.

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: Spiral inductors and EM-noise
Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2005, 12:01pm

Thanks for your answer, that's more or less what I was looking for.

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.