The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 1st, 2024, 8:58pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Current switching (Read 16555 times)
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Current switching
Reply #15 - Aug 25th, 2005, 5:51pm

I believe the problem is more severe than that. It hard to know because we still have not yet seen the full model, but I believe that the problem is in the model itself. Even if one provided a resistor to ground from terminal p the system would still be ill-conditioned. The reason being that the model consists a current probe in series with a (pair of) current source, and the current source is forced to produce the exact same current that is measured by the probe. If this thing is driven by a resistive source, then the current is arbitrary. Any current will satisfy the circuit equations. If you force the current with a current source, then the voltage becomes arbitrary.

The model has to be rewritten so that the current through the sources is not taken from the probe.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
noreng

Reply #16 - Aug 26th, 2005, 1:22am

Seems like I have been too sloppy formulating the problem,

There is a 10Meg resistor in parallel with the current source.

reff1 and reff2 are as you said numbers and not resistances. Their values are calculated by a piecewise linear model controlled by the input voltage. Thus, when the control voltage is below a certain threshold, reff is max. When the lower threshold is exceeded, reff decreases linearly with the control voltage. Finally, when the high threshold is crossed, reff will reach its minimum value.

Besides, the output currents are calculated as follows:

I(p,n1) = I(<p>)*(reff1+rload)/(reff1+reff2+2*rload)
I(p,n2) = I(<p>)*(reff2+rload)/(reff1+reff2+2*rload)

I'm wondering if it is the piecewise linear function which causes problems. Maybe it can be replaced by an inverse tangent function.

View Profile   IP Logged
noreng

Reply #17 - Aug 26th, 2005, 3:24am

Now, I have removed the piecewise linear values and replaced them by linear ones. That is, reff1 is always decreasing with increasing vctr1 and vice versa.

I'm able to switch currents as wanted. However, the p node of the verilog-a module is being pulled up to VDD when I'm simulating. Although this works fine for an ideal current source, it won't work with a transistor current source.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

module test_switch (p,n1,n2,s1,s2,z);                     // p/n1,n2: i/o; s1,s2: ctrl; z: avss
   parameter real ron = 10 from (0:inf);              // on resistance (ohms)
   parameter real roff = 100M from (ron:inf);          // off resistance (ohms)
   parameter real rload = 1k from (0.1:inf);           // load resistance

inout p, n1, n2, z, s1, s2;
   electrical  p, n1, n2, z, s1, s2;

real reff1, reff2, vctr1, vctr2;

branch (p,n1) res1;
   branch (p,n2) res2;

analog begin
       vctr1 = V(s1);
       vctr2 = V(s2);

reff1 = roff+(ron-roff)*vctr1;
       reff2 = roff+(ron-roff)*vctr2;

V(p,n1) <+ I(p,n1)*reff1;
       V(p,n2) <+ I(p,n2)*reff2;

I(res1) <+ I(<p>)*(reff1+rload)/(reff1+reff2+2*rload);
       I(res2) <+ I(<p>)*(reff2+rload)/(reff1+reff2+2*rload);
   end
endmodule

View Profile   IP Logged
noreng

Reply #18 - Aug 26th, 2005, 4:34am

Oops, one more error.

The voltage across the current source equals the supply voltage and not zero, making it possible to use the model together with a transistor current source.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #19 - Aug 26th, 2005, 4:46am

noreng -
I still don't think you've understood the point of Ken's last post.

Even with the 10Meg resistor, your circuit is poorly formulated.  The current can be divided arbitrarily between the 10Meg resistor and your vams module.  The voltage on the "p" terminal of the module doesn't affect the current through it.  You could have V(p) = 10Meg * iref + vdd and I(<p>)=0 (all the current flows back through the resistor), or you could have V(p)=vdd (no current through the resistor, hence it all flows through the "p" terminal) -- or anything in between!

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
noreng

Reply #20 - Aug 26th, 2005, 6:24am

You're right that I haven't understood Ken's last point.

Please explain the following:

The model has to be rewritten so that the current through the sources is not taken from the probe.

Thanks in advance.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #21 - Aug 26th, 2005, 7:36am

There's circular reasoning in your module.

Internally, the simulator knows that I(<p>) is the sum of all the currents of the branches terminating at "p"; but you've also set up equations such that the branch currents depend on I(<p>) -- and hence depend on themselves!!

Is there some reason you didn't like my approach,
 I(n1) <+ I(p) * ...
 I(n2) <+ I(p) * ...

The I(p) on the right-hand side creates a short from "p" to ground, thus making sure the module takes all the current available at the "p" terminal.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
noreng

Reply #22 - Aug 26th, 2005, 7:56am

The only reason was a lack of understanding of Verilog-A.

Thanks for your help.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.