The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 2nd, 2024, 6:49am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
complex signal processing (Read 2164 times)
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
complex signal processing
Aug 26th, 2005, 1:42am

Hello All,
I was wondering whether if it is possible to do complex signal processing in VerilogA/MS. The manual does not say anything about it. I tried using “zi_np” and defining complex poles and zeros, but VerilogA/MS told me that I need to have complex conjugate zeros and poles.  Furthermore, can I define complex voltages such as V=a+j*b in VerilogA/MS?

If so, can someone please comment on this?
Any feedback is appreciated.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: complex signal processing
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2005, 4:35am

svensl -
You can't define complex voltages such as V=a+j*b in VerilogA/MS.  There was some talk about adding complex support as an extension to better support RF, but this effort fizzled out.

zi_np's third argument, according to the LRM, is a vector of N pairs of real numbers, where the first number if the real part and the second the imaginary part.  If you put a non-zero imaginary part, then you have to put in the complex conjugate yourself (same real part, -imaginary part).  (One might argue that the simulator should add this in for you ... )

I've had some difficulties with simulators not really agreeing on what a "vector" is in some cases -- I was trying to use noise_table, and I wasn't able to use an array
 int noisevals[10];
I had to use a comma-separated list of numbers enclosed in braces {}, and the numbers had to be constants (fixed numbers, or I think I was able to use parameters).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.