The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 2:46am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Q of the low pass filter (Read 5241 times)
Analoger

Q of the low pass filter
Oct 02nd, 2005, 10:41pm

Hi all,
I was a bit confused. I understand that quality factor "Q" is an important spec of bandpass filter. But what does quality factor mean for low pass filter? Why do we need to care about it? Thank you!

View Profile   IP Logged
Analoger

Re: Q of the low pass filter
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2005, 8:23pm

Any comments, pls?

View Profile   IP Logged
Anuranjan Jha

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2005, 11:19pm

For a low pass filter, Q does not make sense unless you specify the frequency. You may say Q is a function of frequency because the loss in the circuit depends on it.

Anuranjan

IP Logged
Analoger

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2005, 9:26pm

Anuranjan , no offense, but i don't think you really understand the question and the definition of quality factor - which has different meanings under different circumstance.

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2005, 12:12am

Hi,

I'm not sure who misunderstands the signification, in any case your question is ambiguous. I guess you are questioning the pole quality factor, not the filter quality factor. The pole quality factor defines who much damping your transient response shows, respectively how much peaking your frequency response exhibits. It essentially depends on the ration between the real and the imaginary parts of the poles. For a two-pole filter, you can find the math in any convenient text book. The following document discusses both quality factors:
http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~ee247/fa04/lectures/L2_f04.pdf

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Analoger

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2005, 10:31am

Hi Paul,

I understand the pole quality factor concept. The imaginary part of the pole determines the oscillation frequency, and the real part determines the damping.

I remembered I saw it somewere that "Q" of a low-pass filter is given as a spec. That's why I'm asking.

Thank  you.

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2005, 12:32am

Quote:
I remembered I saw it somewere that "Q" of a low-pass filter is given as a spec.

But that certainly is the pole quality factor and not the filter quality factor.

Best

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Juddy

Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2005, 6:55pm

By the way, I have also a question on Q of the LPF.
when we design a cascaded (two-stage) filter with each stage two poles, how to design the Q- of each stage, should the Q value of two-stages increase of decrease, thanks in advance!!!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.