The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 20th, 2024, 4:00pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
N-Well Shielding (Read 3321 times)
uncle_ezra
Community Member

N-Well Shielding
Nov 24th, 2005, 3:40am

In a p-type substrate, the n-well can be placed under capacitors, inductors and resistors to provide a low-capacitance shield. My question is whether you can leave the n-well terminal floating? In simulation it seems to be ok but not sure if there will be any side effects after fabrication.

I know ideally you want to connect to a clean Vdd but since I don't have that available is it ok to leave the terminal floating?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
uncle_ezra
Community Member

Re: N-Well Shielding
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2005, 1:18am

So I was told it is ok to leave the terminal floating.

View Profile   IP Logged
hrkhari

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2005, 5:50pm

I believe that the n-well shielding should be connected to Vdd to further avoid accumulation of stray charges if it is left floating.

Rgds

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2005, 1:13pm

Hi,

I have seen both and if your foundry does not explicitly forbid this practice (DRC rules), it should be OK to leave it floating. Don't forget however that the result is not the same. In one case your inductor/resistor sees a fixed parasitic capacitor to a clean Vdd, in the other case (floating) it sees a capacitive divider to the possibly noisy substrate. The latter is usually better for speed, but not always for parasitic coupling.

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.