The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 10:24pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
complex poles (Read 52 times)
mvaibhav

complex poles
Dec 02nd, 2005, 11:36am

Hi,
I need an intuitive explanation of how complex poles in the s-plane appear or affect the frequency characteristics of, let's say a low-pass filter. For real poles on the negative real axis, I can simply say that the frequency response will roll off at a slope of -20 dB/decade for every such pole/frequency. How can I map the complex poles on the real frequency axis?? e.g., for Butterworth filter, it has maximally flat passband whereas chebyshev has ripple in the pass band. Why do we use complex poles at all to design filters (apart from a better step response)??

many thanks.

regards,
vaibhav

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: complex poles
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2005, 12:10am

Hi Vaibhav,

I assume that you mean better cutoff rate rather than better step response.

Your question is unclear. What do you mean by mapping complex poles on the
real frequency axis??

Use of complex poles allows one to achieve sharper cutoff between passband and stopband for a lower order filter, which means fewer components and opamps etc. Thus, there is a direct cost/power advantage. Regardless of that, you will still place the poles well inside the left-half s-plane.

I would suggest that you look up a book on basic filter design. Van Valkenburg's text is one possible reference, but there is no dearth of those. You can even use the filter design utility in MATLAB to create filters of different order and type and look at their pole-zero plots to gain some insight. An even better way to gain insight would be to pick up a DSP text and look through the chapter on FIR filter design.

You can also look at a recently posted topic "Effect of zeros on filters".

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.