The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 8:27am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
IQ Mixer need isolation (Read 644 times)
milkdragon

RF idiot

IQ Mixer need isolation
Jan 17th, 2006, 5:46pm

For direct conversion receiver, we need I and Q output at the baseband.  However, do we need isolation between I and Q?  I am asking this because most of the journal simply have the LNA connected directly to the input of both I and Q.  My understanding is we need certain isolation between I and Q.  So, should we actually add a buffer stage before the I Q mixer input instead of splitting it at the LNA output and directly feed into the IQ mixer?

View Profile milkdragon   IP Logged
hrkhari

Re: IQ Mixer need isolation
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2006, 6:36pm

In constructing a modulator, isolation both at the mixer and oscillator helps in the problems such as feedthrough, self-mixing, etc. Normally cascode stage buffer is utilized in providing better isolation, in a oscillator a buffer stage proceeds at the output to provide isolation upon integration, whereas in a mixer, utilization of differential architecture and cascode stage switching, such as in a typical Gilbert cell architure combats the feedthrough and gives better isolation.

Rgds

View Profile   IP Logged
milkdragon

RF idiot

Re: IQ Mixer need isolation
Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2006, 9:47am

Thanks for your comment, Gilbert cell does provide certain isolation between I and Q path.  What about Passive mixer?

View Profile milkdragon   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.