The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 1st, 2024, 3:31am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
puzzle about 5V tolerance of 3.3V CMOS (Read 4111 times)
boris

OK

puzzle about 5V tolerance of 3.3V CMOS
Mar 29th, 2006, 4:51am

the following circuit is used as 5V tolerance input circuit for a 3.3V CMOS process.
all the MOSs are 3.3V devices.

as I know, the break-down voltage of the PN junction between the drain and the substrate of N3 is not higher than the break-down voltage of the gate of N2. So I think that using N3 to tolerance 5V is not reasonable.
who can tell me why I am wrong.

BTW, when the PAD is 5V, the ESD device of P1 is turned on so it is not good here. Am I right? What is the better solution for ESD?

tolerance5v.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Alef

Re: puzzle about 5V tolerance of 3.3V CMOS
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2006, 11:50pm

You can use TTL to CMOS schmitt trigger in this case. Transistor P1 will wark as diode while scheme is normal working. The most simple decision is usage of the diode chain instead of P1 or excluding P1 from the curcuit. In this case ESD stress current will flow through the alternative pathes: through N1 to ground rail then to power rail through ground to power diode chain or clamp curcuit.

View Profile   IP Logged
mikki33
Community Member

Analog/Mixed
Signal/High Speed

Israel
Re: puzzle about 5V tolerance of 3.3V CMOS
Reply #2 - May 17th, 2006, 1:58am

[quote author=boris]
as I know, the break-down voltage of the PN junction between the drain and the substrate of N3 is not higher than the break-down voltage of the gate of N2.
[quote]

You are wrong in this statement. The N+/P-sub break-down in higher than 5V for sure. If I recall correccly it is 10-12V. You can check it by simulating N+/P-sub reverse-biased diode and see. (if of course you have reliable and good models from the FAB).

You are also wrong in the statement about the P1 is turning on. It is not. First, the Vt of 3.3V transistors is about 0.7V, but the voltage at the pad NEIVER reach 5V, because: second, P+/NWELL diode (which is the drain of P1) becomes forward biased and opens when the pad voltage reaches Vt of this diode (it may be 0.4-0.6V) above VDD (the voltage of the NWELL). You also can simulate P+/NWELL diode (in this case forward biased) and see when it will open (i.e. find the diode Vt).

Best,
Michael

« Last Edit: May 17th, 2006, 8:21am by mikki33 »  

If you don't have time to do it good
you will find time to do it again
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.