The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 28th, 2024, 4:15pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to assign supply voltage specific CRs to net (Read 4369 times)
bernd

Munich/Germany
How to assign supply voltage specific CRs to net
Mar 31st, 2006, 12:34am

In Cadence AMS Designer, what's the easiest or
most straight forward way to assign supply voltage
specific connect rules to specific nets.

Assuming you have three supply voltages in the
analog and one in the digital domain,
e.g. analog 1.2V core, 1.8V IO, 3.3V IO,
    digital 1.2V core.

Do I have to write custom disciplines in an
own 'disciplines.vams'?
If yes where should I put it to be recognized
by the tool?

To be honest I did not realy understand how the
process works here, if it woks at all!?

Bernd

Just another lonesome cad guy
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: How to assign supply voltage   specific C
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2006, 2:40am

Bernd,

This can be done with supply sensitive connect modules - which can discover the supply of the digital block to which they are connected, using (say) inherited connections.

It's covered in the documentation, if I remember rightly... and there are examples of such connect modules in the sample connect modules provided in the IUS stream.

You could do it with custom disciplines, but that's probably more of a pain to manage - you'd have multiple discrete disciplines. I've
done this in some cases where I've had different logic types (e.g. logic), but if you have the same standard cells operating under different
supply voltages, the supply sensitive connect modules approach is the way to go.

There are other alternatives too these days, but after the initial setup, supply sensitive connect modules are probably the way I'd choose.

Regards,

Andrew.

jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Re: How to assign supply voltage   specific C
Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2006, 3:55am

Cadence provides a number of connect rules.. and connect models for this purpose ..
once you find the library (in the IUS5.7 installation) you can grep the files for sensitivity

on my recent projects, I've moved from the default "logic" discipline (which I know conflicts with SystemVerilog
which I may use someday) and have defined my one..
the REAL reason I do this is that I use a NON-supply sensitive discipline for my LOW voltage gates (I don't have to modify them to get them to work in AMS)
and then I use a different supply sensitive discipline for my other (High voltage) logic..
and I don't allow a connection between the two, except with a properly modeled Level shifter..
XIG12LS33 for example.. (with my ams model for it)

default "logic_cmos" is for 1.2v only
"logic_ss" is for 2.5v or "switched" supplies that I assume are not compatible with the 1.2v logic..

then I have a set for CML gates.. (see my upcoming bmas paper @www.bmas-conf.org.. Any chance you can make it out for that?
Jonathan
Jonathan

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.