The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 3:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
hartley oscillator, buffer stage and filter (Read 880 times)
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
hartley oscillator, buffer stage and filter
May 01st, 2006, 1:11am

Hello,

I am currently playing abound with oscillators and since I am not very experienced with doing so I would like to ask some questions on circuits implementation issues.
The Hartley oscillator I am using is shown in the figure. This circuit should work well till frequencies of about 150 MHz, but at the moment I have it oscillate at about 5.5 MHz as I am using a solderless bread-board. Eventually I will solder it and put is in a shielded box to reduce noise in the circuit. The capacitor C2 is a pressure sensor which will change the frequency of oscillation when excited.
The main problem is that the frequency of oscillation experiences only a minor change as the capacitance of the sensor will only change by about 0.1pF. In an unexcited state the “center” capacitance is about 68pF. Thus about a 4kHz deviation in frequency only.

1) I was wondering whether there is a way to “amplify” the change in frequency with the circuit shown in the figure.

I would like to do some data acquisition on the output of the oscillator and have a simple acquisition board for that. It uses a 12-bit A/D converter which can sample up to 3MHz. As the signal is currently at about 5.5MHz I would need to do under-sampling (let’s say 1MHz) to obtain the waveform. Before feeding the signal into the A/D converter I need to buffer it and also would like to band-pass filter the signal to reduce the overall aliased noise when under-sampling.

2) What would be a good circuit of doing this?  I was thinking about a simple LC bandpass followed by a wide bandwidth amplifier to buffer?

Any tips and suggestions are appreciated.

hartley_circuit_1.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
mikki33
Community Member

Analog/Mixed
Signal/High Speed

Israel
Re: hartley oscillator, buffer stage and filter
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2006, 2:55am

What about to make another oscillator, running with 5MHz and make a difference (multiplier with LPF).
The difference you can sample into the ADC...

If you don't have time to do it good
you will find time to do it again
View Profile   IP Logged
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
Re: hartley oscillator, buffer stage and filter
Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2006, 8:58am

Thanks for the response mikki33. Yes that would be a solution. I was thinking about down mixing the FM signal to get the center frequency down, which should be the same thing if I understood you correctly. Since the modulation is quite small I was thinking about under-sampling the FM output and thus “bringing out” the frequency change. In theory this should work as well, but might cause some problems with noise being aliased.

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.