The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 7th, 2024, 5:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Creating SPICE Model (Read 6102 times)
337see733
Community Member

Singapore
Creating SPICE Model
May 21st, 2006, 3:44am

Dear all,

I'm trying to find out how to create SPICE model for compact model. Not sure is this the right place to post ? Anyway, thanks in advanced.

View Profile gilbertsee   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Creating SPICE Model
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2006, 4:27am

This is as good a place as any to post -- I headed up the effort to add the compact modeling extensions in the Verilog-AMS LRM 2.3

Actually, you don't say in your post, but I assume you are planning to use Verilog-A.

But the best way to start is to look at the models posted on this site (http://www.designers-guide.org/VerilogAMS/) and use them as the basis for your model.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
337see733
Community Member

Singapore
Reply #2 - May 24th, 2006, 6:26pm

Thanks. I need to code it into SPICE so that it can run using SPICE machine. IS Verilog-A portable to SPICE ? or i need to code in other language? Thanks.

View Profile gilbertsee   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - May 25th, 2006, 4:41am

Tiburon (www.tiburon-da.com) has a Spice3f5 interface for Verilog-A.

There's a project (ADMS) on sourceforge that's supposed to connect Verilog-A to ngSpice, an open-source Spice clone, but my last experience with ADMS is that it's not fully mature.

Verilog-A can be run in Spectre, HSpice, Agilent ADS, Mentor Eldo, ...

Verilog-A is a lot nicer (higher-level) language for writing compact models.  But if you need it to run in a particular Spice interface, you may need to code directly in C.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
A_Programmer

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2006, 1:51pm

I currently implemented my compact model as a subcircuit and it runs very very slow. I am trying to code it in C but it seems not to be a trivial task. Is coding it in Verilog A a wise alternative?  Do you know, in terms of simulation speed, how inefficient a model coded in Verilog-A compared with one coded directly in C is?

Thanks a lot.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2006, 4:06am

Good Verilog-A compilers can get their performance well under 2x the speed of hand-coded C.  The ADMS folks said they had tuned a development version to get within 10% of the speed of the Berkeley C code for BSIM3.

Of course, that assumes that the hand-coding is correct Smiley.  If you have derivative errors in the C, then your simulation might not finish at all.

A_Programmer

Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2006, 3:32pm

Thanks a lot. Is the best way to learn Verilog-A by reading the book "The Designer's Guide to Verilog-AMS"?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2006, 5:00am

DG to VAMS is a good book, but it covers all of Verilog-AMS, so if you're just interested in the analog subset and particularly compact modeling, then I would suggest

http://www.bmas-conf.org/2004/papers/bmas04-coram.pdf
http://www.bmas-conf.org/2004/presentations/bmas04-coram-preso.pdf

You can also learn a lot simply by looking at an existing model, of which there are a few you can download by clicking Verilog-AMS in the top right of these web pages.
http://www.designers-guide.org/VerilogAMS/

A_Programmer

Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2006, 10:46pm

Wink Thank you so much. I will have fun with them I guess.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.