The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 6:43am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Body-effect, depletion width, and band-bending (Read 4282 times)
Croaker

Body-effect, depletion width, and band-bending
Jun 25th, 2006, 7:03am

For Vsb=0, Vth=2*phi+Qdep/Cox

The energy bands Ei and Ef have a difference of 2*q*phi representing that the surface of the silicon has the same concentration as the bulk, but a different polarity.

The depletion charge is given by: sqrt(2*e*Nsub*q*V), where e is the dielectric constant and V is the voltage across the negative charge half of the junction, i.e. from bulk to surface...V=2*phi.

Now, when Vsb!=0, Vth changes to:
Vth,bias=2*phi + Qdep,bias/Cox

where Qdep,bias=sqrt(2*e*Nsub*q*V) where now V=2*phi-Vbs

I am confused, because I would think Vth,bias=2*phi-Vbs + Qdep,bias/Cox.  That is to say, Qdep changes because of the applied voltage, so it would seem like the difference between bulk and surface would also change to 2*phi-Vbs.  But, this isn't correct...I looked it up in my Streetman devices text.

So, why does the difference between Ei and Ef still have to equal q*2*phi?  I would say because the surface still needs to have the same concentration of negative charge for strong inversion.  I think what's confusing me is that the voltage from bulk to surface remains at 2*phi, but the voltage that defines the depletion layer charge has changed to 2*phi-Vbs.  

If the voltage difference between bulk and surface is 2*phi, how can the voltage defining the depletion layer simultaneously be 2*phi-Vbs???  My explanation is that the charge concentration at the surface remains the same as it was when Vbs=0, but now there is less depletion region charge and more carrier charge.  Another way of saying this is the voltage drop across the bound charge has changed, which changes the width of the depletion layer (as evidenced by Qdep,bias), but the total voltage drop between bulk and surface must remain at 2*phi, to maintain the right concentration for strong inversion; the remaining voltage (2*phi-(2*phi-Vbs)=Vbs) is dropped across the mobile inversion charge.

Does this make sense and is it correct?

Do the energy band diagrams for Ei and Ef look the same for both cases where Vbs=0 and Vbs!=0?  I am basing my thoughts on the fact that they remain the same, and the difference is still q*2*phi (which is correct).

Thanks,
Marc

Here is a page with some better versions of the equations:
http://ece-www.colorado.edu/~bart/book/book/chapter7/ch7_4.htm

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Re: Body-effect, depletion width, and band-bending
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2006, 9:19am

This applet is pretty cool for showing the energy bands:

http://jas.eng.buffalo.edu/education/mos/mosCap/biasBand10.html

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2006, 5:21am

Did anyone make sense of my long-winded post? Smiley

My real question is, how come the depletion charge is determined by 2*phi-Vbs but the voltage from bulk to surface remains steady at 2*phi?

Thanks,
Marc

View Profile   IP Logged
mc66

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2006, 7:13am

I think you use two terminal MOS structure's FUNCTION to explain for real four terminal MOS device is root cause.

For me,the simplest way to explain BODY EFFECT is when SOURCE voltage up to large(eg, Vg-Vs<Vt,Vb=0),than at soure end ,there will be pinchoff same as   drian end in saturation region,then Vt lift
so use the fuction you used to explain the situation what happened in source end is not good

i think you can found detail answer in this book
operation and modeling of The MOS Transistor , Yannis Tsividis

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.