The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 20th, 2024, 7:58pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Device engineer (Read 3721 times)
A_Programmer

Device engineer
Jul 04th, 2006, 2:19am

Hi all,

Sorry if I am asking this question in the wrong forum but I really want to know what kind of jobs a person majoring in semiconductor device can do. What are their daily activities? Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Device engineer
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2006, 7:28am

Here are three possibilities:
1) device characterization engineer: spend your day taking measurement of silicon and optimizing parameter sets for simulation with eg BSIM3; you might also design and lay out test chips

2) process development engineer: work on improving devices: change doping profiles, process recipe, mask layouts, etc. to change the electrical behavior of devices; or figure out how to add new devices (eg add BJTs to CMOS process)

3) spice programmer: add new equations to a spice simulator to allow simulation of new device characteristics or new features of advanced cmos processes

There are other possibilities, too, I expect.  I spend some of my time doing 3.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
A_Programmer

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2006, 11:38pm

Thanks a lot. (1) and (3), especially (3), are really interesting to me. I have heard that a phD is necessary. Is it true? What skill sets are required?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2006, 8:35am

I have a PhD, but it's not required for (3).  What *is* required is a maniacal attention to details and the ability to get equations -- and especially derivatives -- rigorously correct.

It doesn't hurt to have a PhD, and it would help to have a reasonable understanding of device physics, like what the diode I(v) equation is, etc.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.